This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Turn off autogeneration

I know you will give me the song and dance about how essential it is to use complex autogenerated passwords and how Attila and the Huns will raid all my bank accounts and take my identity if I don't but...

The autogenerate feature has recently auto-corrupted one of my passwords. If I can't rely on 1Password ALL THE TIME then I can't rely on it at all. And rely on it I certainly do! I think what happened is I started using Chrome with the chrome addin. It has some difficulty occasionally recognizing sites that exist so it will create a new password. But, when the URL is really the same, it will save one of its autogenerated passwords into the same entry.

I recently thought I had lost a password. Fortunately, your password history feature saved the day. It's a great product: I am only suggesting a feature change. I could see the previous password. It was the correct password. But, I never overtly requested a change or created a new password. Autogenerate overwrote what was there.

I have never used autogenerated passwords and I never will. Please forebear from the moral hectoring that I know will come. I have complex rules for generating pretty strong passwords. I do not reuse passwords from crucial sites like bank, brokerage, and email. Indeed--never ever reuse your email password. Since most low security sites use email as login if we use our real email password as the password then when one of the many low security sites in the universe is hacked then the hacker has our login for potentially many extra sites. But, if we do not reuse another password then we've protected to some extent our real email account. I do repeat use of the same password for "impersonal" sites. These are sites that insists that I register so that they can pester me before I read an article. There is no personal information there except what articles I once read. I am ok with someone discovering this.

I am willing to take the risks of being responsible. 1Password helps me a lot; but I'd like to be in charge of how much it helps me. So, let's have a preference to turn off auto generated passwords. As it is, there is too much risk in a password I've chosen being inadvertently overwritten. And that I can't risk.

Thanks for listening without moralizing.

Comments

• Stefan von Dutch
    Stefan von Dutch Community Moderator
    edited January 2012
    What "autogenerate" feature? We will never create a new password (or overwrite anything) without your permission.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    edited January 2012
    Lewis, you have to click on a Generate button or choose File > New Item > Password to invoke the strong password generator.

Can you tell us how you think 1Password "autogenerated" a password for you?

We do recommend using strong passwords—that's why we make it so easy to create and use them—but the decision about when and, indeed, whether, to use them is yours alone.