This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Firefox addon is causing major slowness

I'm using the beta Firefox add-on and oh boy. It has problems. Several times a minute the Firefox main thread is hanging (busy, burning CPU time) for several seconds. It seems to be worse under heavier Firefox loads (more open tabs/memory usage/etc.).

Disabling the add-on largely removes the slowdowns. I will point out that the add-on doesn't appear to be the sole cause of these hangs. Firefox is capable of doing it all by itself, and nobody really knows why. But the add-on is making them an awful lot worse.

64-bit Windows 7, 32-bit Firefox 11, 1Password 1.0.9.285, Firefox plugin 3.9.1.b1.

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Welcome to the forums, Peter.

Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of Mozilla with some issues in Firefox. They are aware of some issues and are working to resolve them (including giving us better tools to track these kinds of issues down).

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • I don't really follow. Firefox is open source (and unlike Chrome/Chromium, you can build the real deal from source), and Visual Studio includes a profiler. The root case might well be a Mozilla-originated Firefox bug, but I cannot for the life of me understand what is preventing you from at least figuring out where the issue lies. It might not be _easy_ and Mozilla might be able to make it easier in the future, but it's certainly not something that _requires_ new tooling from Mozilla.
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Please try the latest beta version of the extension and let me know if that helps. Just click the button to install the Firefox extension from 1Password's preferences, and then check the box to "Allow beta extensions" before downloading the beta extension.

[img]https://img.skitch.com/20120403-fiw9xpwpb7urkeyfaksx5dbfr6.png[/img]