This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

How can I create a .DS_Store file for my Knox vaults?

Hello.

This is really not an issue, but it's something that's become somewhat annoying to me personally. Every time I open one of my vaults in a Finder window, my files appear cluttered and untidy. Even if I've previously arranged them by name and had them show up as list, if I close the window and reopen it, the files show up again as dispersed icons inside the Finder window. It's really annoying to have to sort them out by name and have them show up as list every time.

I've googled for a way to create .DS_Store files, and only a few legitimate results came up, but they all require advanced Terminal skills which I lack. How can I make my vaults save a .DS_Store file for the Finder?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Finder creates the .DS_Store files automatically. All of my vaults have a .DS_Store file in the root. I'm sure it seems like a silly question, but are you sure you have write access to the vault? Are you using it regularly by adding and removing files?
  • Thanks for the reply, Khad. I do have write access to the vault, and I'm constantly adding and removing items from it. I've been messing with the vault's Finder window, and I noticed a strage behavior: If I tell Finder to show my items as list, the .DS_Store will not retain that information, and if I close and reopen the window, the items will always be shown as icons. However, if I tell Finder to arrrange the icons by name, the .DS_Store file will retain that info, and the next time I open the window, my icons are still arranged by name. So for some reason, the .DS_Store in the vaults doesn't like the "show as list" option. This issue only happes with my Knox vaults windows and also with the windows for my Truecrypt vaults. All other regular folder windows in my computer retain the Finder settings I choose.

Any thoughts? Thanks again.
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    Hi,

Do you ask Knox to open folders as soon as you mount the vault?

Try unchecking that option and then next time you mount the vault, open it directly in Finder's sidebar and see if that'll help.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!
  • Thanks for you reply, Mike. I apologize for my late reply. I've never had the option to Open Finder windows checked. I always mount the vaults and open their windows manually in the Finder by double-clicking them. Right now I tried accessing the vault by clicking on it from the Finder's sidebar, but still it doesn't keep the "show as list" setting. Every time I access the window, it shows the items as icons.

As I mentioned previously, this behavior only happens in encrypted vaults, both from Knox and Truecrypt. All my other normal Finder windows do retain the settings I choose for them in the Finder. Do you think it's a good idea for me to try and replace the .DS_Store file from the vault with a .DS_Store file from another Finder window?
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited November 2012
    Unfortunately, I don't think that'll work as Finder will just override it or ignore it.

This has been a known issue of Finder for a long time, Finder will only open them in the icon view if it is a different type of volume like Knox or Truecrypt. There aren't any fixes for this as far as we know, so only Apple can fix this.

I'd recommend sending them a feedback report here: [url="http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html"]http://www.apple.com...ack/macosx.html[/url]

With enough reports, Apple should be able to let Finder set the correct view settings for those volumes.
  • Gotcha . I'll definitely send them my feedback, and hopefully they can do something about it in the future. Thanks a lot to both of you for your help.
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    It is our pleasure. If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!