This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Question New 1Password Pro and Dropbox Sync Not Working

ifonline
ifonline Junior Member
edited December 1969 in iOS
I just installed the updated version of 1Password Pro on my iPhone and iPad, and Dropbox sync is not working at all. On the iPhone, I turned on Dropbox sync and entered my Dropbox password. 1Password Pro says that it is attempting to locate the 1Password data on Dropbox, and then it says that it can't find it. Huh?

Now what? The data is definitely on Dropbox as that's how I keep my home and work computers in sync. Additionally, I am using the latest version of 1Password on my Macs (and I even checked for updates before trying this).

Comments

• thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited December 1969
    Try a restart I also am seeing the same thing its usually a server time out. If you are still on the sync screen give it a few moments and it will prompt you to sync again.
  • ifonline
    ifonline Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    A timeout? It is telling me it can't find the data file in about two seconds after trying to sync. Hm... I have rebooted the iPhone and rebuilt the data using 1Password on the Mac. Let's see what happens now...
  • ifonline
    ifonline Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Well... I just kept hitting "Sync" on the iPhone, and now it says "Dropbox sync failed to download remote encryption keys."

Strange.
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    yeah I have seen that message before I waited 10 minutes and all was better when trying out the beta.
  • ifonline
    ifonline Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Okay... now the third message. "Master password is incorrect." Er... no it's not. Maybe I just need to get some sleep as this is quickly getting frustrating.
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    Have all us new 1P dropbox syncers crashed the DB API ??? I would say not but give it a bit. It will happen in the background also if you exit the screen.
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    [quote name='ifonline']Okay... now the third message. "Master password is incorrect." Er... no it's not. Maybe I just need to get some sleep as this is quickly getting frustrating.[/QUOTE]

a complete shut down of the 1p app if you are on 4.x and restart should fix this.
  • ifonline
    ifonline Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I appreciate your trying to help. Now I'm back to "Failed to find the data file on Dropbox." If I keep hitting sync, it then tells me that my password is incorrect, even though it's not. Ungh...

Just so we're on the same sheet of music: I have fully shut down the app (I'm on iOS 4), I have rebooted the iPhone, I have rebuilt the database using the desktop, I have wiped out the database on the iPhone to start over... nothing seems to be working.
  • ifonline
    ifonline Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Strange that you can't get into Dropbox. I can. But when I did, I found something interesting: there is now a 1PasswordSync folder at the root of my Dropbox. Why? This isn't where the data is located, and because I keep my Dropbox organized, I don't want this folder there. It looks like 1Password on the iPhone is trying to sync to a fixed location. Is this correct? If so, how do I tell 1Password on the iPhone where to look for the data?
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    I am getting no where either tonight so I am just gonna sleep on it. I also wiped the database but unfortunately I have to to remove the beta and install the final version. So I dunno. I know there is a lot and I mean a lot of news flying about about the new app via twitter etc. I think I will just wait till 4 am when its time to get up when so many people are not trying to use it. But thats me.

Oh btw your welcome all you did is fine and so forth. I can tell you it works I have been running the beta for some time now and not had anywhere this level of problems. Maybe we did crash the API or just flooded the servers etc.
  • ifonline
    ifonline Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Interesting. Well, I'll check-in tomorrow morning and see where we are. Thanks again.

Oh, and I see others starting to post with issues as well. Might be a busy night tonight.
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    If you open the dropbox website you should see a hidden file .ws...... that is the place marker for where the data file is located. It should be in the root of DB. From what Dave said you dont need the 1psync folder any longer. You can store the data file where ever you wish.
  • ifonline
    ifonline Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Problem is that the iPhone app is actually [i]creating[/i] the 1PasswordSync folder. I delete it, and then try and sync via Dropbox from the iPhone, and the folder shows up again.
  • msurtees
    msurtees Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Can't sync at all with DropBox. I've had my 1P db in there for months...though I now notice a 1PasswordSync folder that's empty. Should the 1Password.agilekeychain be in there???
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    No the keychain can be where ever you wish the folder is created by dropbox and there API. You dont have to store the data file there.
  • ifonline
    ifonline Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I can get a bit further now, but the iPhone insists on creating the 1PasswordSync folder in my Dropbox root. Why? Nevertheless, the iPhone insists that my 1Password master password for the database is wrong, and it's not. It's just not working, and my guess is the "1PasswordSync" folder that the iPhone creates every time I try and sync is the culprit.
  • ifonline
    ifonline Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='thightower']...the folder is created by dropbox and there API. You dont have to store the data file there.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that this folder will always be created, even if I don't want it to be created? Ungh...
  • ghoti
    ghoti Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Same problem here. 1PW creates a folder "1PasswordSync" in the root of my DB, which I don't want. Even copying my keychain there doesn't work though.

An issue here seem to be misleading error messages. I also get "can't find keychain" and "master password not correct," when it may be other reasons (like the location of the keychain or connection issues).
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    No the folder is fine if you open the dropbox web site you will see there is a file in the root thats actually the marker to where you have your data file stored. The folder is created by the API any app that you grant access to your dropbox creates its own folder. Airshariing, goodreader etc to name a few I have all of those folders
  • ifonline
    ifonline Junior Member
    edited July 2010
    Hm... I really need to get to bed... Getting more frustrated as I keep trying to make it work. I actually hope it's a bug in the code and not the API crashing. If the API is crashing then just how robust is Dropbox syncing really going to be? I love 1Password and have been using it for quite a while, but honestly, how many customers can they really have, and how many of those are trying to use the sync service [i]right now[/i]? Besides, with other apps using the API, the potential for future API failure (if that is what the issue is right now) seems too high to be reliable if it can't handle the load now.

Maybe that's just my frustration talking. I'm off, and I'll give it a fresh shot in the morning.

Thanks again.

Mods Comment :[U]Forgot to tell you to check for udates sorry its not the API there is a new stable version[/U]
  • ghoti
    ghoti Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Does that mean we have to move the keychain into that folder so that syncing works? Also, I'm not seeing a .ws file in there.

And I just tried the Dropbox app, that can connect and retrieve files without problems.
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    Check for updates to 1password please.
  • ghoti
    ghoti Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Ah, that's the ticket! It's syncing now. Showing me lots of conflicts, but that's another problem ;)

Great feature btw, WiFi syncing is something I rarely do. Syncing through the cloud is clearly the way to go. Thanks!
  • CaptSaltyJack
    CaptSaltyJack Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Pardon me, but I'm not using any kind of beta and I can't get this Dropbox sync feature to work on 1Password Pro for the iPhone. I get random errors. Sometimes it's about the encryption keys. Sometimes it says the master password is incorrect (which, it's definitely not).

This seems like a bug to me. It should just work, no?
  • tawong
    tawong Member
    edited December 1969
    It was working but now I keep getting master password error in dropbox.
  • CaptSaltyJack
    edited December 1969
    Consider this a bug report.
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    The current beta is scheduled for a final release very soon, so I wouldn't officially call it a beta, maybe zulu =)

If you dont want to use the beta then you will need to wait for the public release to be pushed. It has a portion of the stuff for lack of better words to complete a portion of the setup.

Edit : just got a pop up from 1P looks like the final is here so it should work with the public release aka check for updates. =)
  • CaptSaltyJack
    edited December 1969
    Wait wait.. all beta talk aside here..

I've got the current release of 1Password on the Mac, and the current release of 1Password Pro on the iPhone 4. Dropbox sync feature is broken. I'm assuming from your post that this is a known bug and the current beta fixes it, and this will be released soon, right?
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    No no

Just a misunderstanding, the final version is out please check for updates. A few moment ago 1P prompted me to update to the latest stable build.
  • CaptSaltyJack
    edited December 1969
    Ok, and what I'm saying is, I have the final builds of both Mac & iPhone version.. and they're buggy :) Dropbox sync is NOT working. It mistakenly tells me my master password is wrong, which it's not. And even if it were, it doesn't allow me a way to re-enter it in the Dropbox sync settings.
This discussion has been closed.