This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Strange issue accessing keychain from Windows

I have 1Password for Windows and Mac running in my environment. I have no problems syncing between devices by using Dropbox. The problem comes in when I try to access the keychain from a windows box without dropbox.

I will explain......

I work at home, and have a home network. All of my home machines have Dropbox and 1Password, and work just fine. My main machine is a mac.

My work machine is a Windows laptop. I vpn with a split tunnel into work. I am not allowed to install Dropbox on my work desktop, but would like to have 1Password installed and able to sync.

With much difficulty, I was able to get my Dropbox folder created as a share on my Windows box. I can see all the files, and can create folders, etc. with the username that I use to create the share.

Here is the problem. When I open 1Password, and select Open 1Password folder, it get a message that the file is read only. The share was created on the mac with read / write access for everyone as well as for the id I'm using to create the share.

When I select the keychain folder, and select Get Info, it tells me that I have custom access rights for the file. I can change that file to be read / write, but still have the problem. If I select Show Package Contents, I see that all the files and folders have the same attributes. Any way to change this or any suggestions on how to resolve the problem.

Thanks.

jc

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Welcome to the forums, JC! Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Unfortunately, such a configuration is unsupported. 1Password needs to read and write it data from a local drive. External and network drives can cause problems with data availability (a key component of security).

What I would recommend is to use 1PasswordAnywhere which gives you fully supported read-only access on a machine where you cannot install Dropbox:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html
  • Stefan von Dutch
    Stefan von Dutch Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    You'll see this error when our Windows application appears to have read-only rights to your 1Password data. How the share was created on the Mac is irrelevant. Our Windows application needs both read and write access to your 1Password data.
  • Thanks for the responses, guys.

I was able to get it working by running a utility on the directory on my mac called BatCHmod, which changed all the files in all the subdirectories to be read / write for everyone. Once I updated the files, I was able to open 1Password on my windows machine and apparently have full functionality.

I do understand that by using a share, I risk a problem with syncing updates, so I plan to use the 1Password Anywhere off the share (I can't even access the dropbox website from my work computer.) But, not understanding how 1Password handles file / record level updates, I'm not positive this wouldn't work. Since the share is essentially another way to access the Dropbox folder, do you see a potential problem with updates? This is a slightly different configuration with a share than I would normally have.

I had to install Chrome and add the command line update to allow local file access, but it appears to work okay.

Thanks for the info. I figured I would share the fact that updating all the files to be read / write for eveyone worked. Not sure why they are labeled that way on the share, but they were.

Great product, btw. I couldn't get through the day without it. And I recommend it to everyone that asks (and some that don't) about password management.

Cheers.

jc
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Thanks for your kind words, JC, and my apologies if I wasn't clear above. The configuration that is not supported has nothing to do with read/write access. Even with full r+w access external drives and network shares are not supported as the r+w speeds may not be fast enough to keep up with 1Password and the data can become unavailable at any time due to a network outage for example.

Please do not attempt to set a data file on an external drive or network share as the active data in 1Password for Windows.

If you are only accessing [i][b]1PasswordAnywhere[/b][/i] on the external drive or network share it is not a problem since it is a read-only web app.