This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

External Drives

I recently became aware of a distressing development regarding 1Password for Windows, in that it does not support Agile Keychains on external drives.

First, let me describe my environment.

OS X & Application on /

My Home directory ~ in /Volumes/Home

/Volumes/Home is a Firewire drive attached to my computer, and needless to say, I can't login to my main account without this drive attached to my computer.

The distressing part of this discovery is that finding out that 1Password actually puts in a check for external drives. Though I understand the reasoning for wanting to maintain data integrity by guarding against unexpected unmounts, in practice this isn't any safer, as an internal drive could be unmounted through various means just as well (umount /dev/xvdf or whatever). This artificial limitation doesn't, so far, seem to be affecting me (my keychain lives in /Volumes/Home/Dropbox i.e. ~/Dropbox/). However, it's a worrying trend.

Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.