This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Question New iPhone app concerns

Robbie53
Robbie53 Junior Member
edited July 2010 in iOS
I am using the 1password pro app with both an iPad and an iPhone. I have a few questions and concerns regarding using the iPhone. I am syncing with Dropbox and that has setup fine. However the database on the iPhone has it's own master password which can be different to the master password on the mac. I know this wasn't a problem when synced locally over wifi as the wifi signal is encrypted in its own right. I presumed the whole encrypted file couldn't be passed over during sync which is why you took this approach. But the iPad does have the same password as the mac, so the syncing must be done differently. It carries over the master password from the mac. Why isn't the iPhone treated the same way, after all it is an iOS device.

Another worry with the iPhone is caused by the new multitasking iOS4. On the iPad, pressing the home button will take you out of 1Password and effectively close it. This means that the next time 1password is run it requires the master password for entry. Which is what I would expect. However on the iPhone pressing the home button leaves the 1Password app suspended (pseudo multitasking). This means that when you re-enter 1password any time later the only level of security is your 4 digit low security numeric password. Granted, there is a lock button in the top corner after choosing ...[I]more[/I] in the menu, but it's not very intuitive. There is no timeout I can find that would shut the app down after a set period, requiring master password again to access sensitive information. I can't understand why the iPhone version can't be more aligned to the ipad version in this respect. They are both portable devices with similar operating systems and principles.

You have got autolock on the iPad version. Will this still work when the app is automatically suspended by the home button, after the iPad gets its iOS4 facelift later this year?

Comments

• roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Robbie53']I am using the 1password pro app with both an iPad and an iPhone. I have a few questions and concerns regarding using the iPhone. I am syncing with Dropbox and that has setup fine. However the database on the iPhone has it's own master password which can be different to the master password on the mac. I know this wasn't a problem when synced locally over wifi as the wifi signal is encrypted in its own right. I presumed the whole encrypted file couldn't be passed over during sync which is why you took this approach. But the iPad does have the same password as the mac, so the syncing must be done differently. It carries over the master password from the mac. Why isn't the iPhone treated the same way, after all it is an iOS device.[/QUOTE]

The master password on iPad can be different from the master password on your Mac. If you change it on your iPad, it will not change on your Mac. The iPhone and iPad apps are similar in this sense.

[quote name='Robbie53']Another worry with the iPhone is caused by the new multitasking iOS4. On the iPad, pressing the home button will take you out of 1Password and effectively close it. This means that the next time 1password is run it requires the master password for entry. Which is what I would expect. However on the iPhone pressing the home button leaves the 1Password app suspended (pseudo multitasking). This means that when you re-enter 1password any time later the only level of security is your 4 digit low security numeric password. Granted, there is a lock button in the top corner after choosing ...[I]more[/I] in the menu, but it's not very intuitive. There is no timeout I can find that would shut the app down after a set period, requiring master password again to access sensitive information. I can't understand why the iPhone version can't be more aligned to the ipad version in this respect. They are both portable devices with similar operating systems and principles.

You have got autolock on the iPad version. Will this still work when the app is automatically suspended by the home button, after the iPad gets its iOS4 facelift later this year?[/QUOTE]

You can configure Auto-Lock timeout in Settings > Security. On iPhone it can be configured for Unlock Code and Master Password independently. If you would them to be lock right after you switch to another application you can enable "Lock when Inactive" switch. It will make 1Password a bit less convenient though and, in my opinion, it is better to just use the Auto-Lock timeout.
  • Robbie53
    Robbie53 Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='roustem']The master password on iPad can be different from the master password on your Mac. If you change it on your iPad, it will not change on your Mac. The iPhone and iPad apps are similar in this sense.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't realised that I had set the password the same as the Mac one. It makes a lot of sense now.

[quote name='roustem'] can configure Auto-Lock timeout in Settings > Security. On iPhone it can be configured for Unlock Code and Master Password independently. If you would them to be lock right after you switch to another application you can enable "Lock when Inactive" switch. It will make 1Password a bit less convenient though and, in my opinion, it is better to just use the Auto-Lock timeout.[/QUOTE]

Thank's for that. I agree it is best to use an the Auto-Lock as opposed turning it off each time. I'll look a lot closer next time.