This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Is there a way to merge my current information with another backup file?

loriesharpe
edited February 2013 in Mac

I purchased a new computer and delayed transferring my backup from the old computer due to time constraints. I installed 1Password on my new computer and used it for a few NEW logins. Today I imported the old backup and it overwrote the new information. Is it possible to merge the newer backup into the current larger information file? If not, I guess it isn't the end of the world because the new file only contains 6 new logins...but it would be nice. Thanks! Lorie

Best Answers

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    Answer ✓

Hi Lorie,

That's because the browser extension and the main 1Password app is out of sync now because you're using a different data file. We block the sync if the 1Password Helper determines there's a different data file involved for security reasons.

Do this:

1. Open Safari, and then visit this page: https://agilebits.com/extension/test/export_data
    2. Enter your master password in there and select Export Everything
    3. Now, select all the text and copy it.
    4. Now, open 1Password, unlock and once you're in Logins view, paste it in, it should then import the 6 new items.

Please let me know how it turns out.

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    Answer ✓

Hi Lorie,

Just press Command + V or go to the Edit Menu > Paste, 1Password should automatically create the items from your clipboard.

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    Answer ✓

Hi Lorie,

That's normal as 1Password Helper blocks the sync between the extension and the main app if the data file has changed.

Please read this article on how to reinstall the Safari extension. Ignore the part about how this is for the master password change, the instructions for Safari remains the same.

I hope that helps.

Answers

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai

Hi Lorie,

It depends. Can you I've me details about which version of 1Password and OS you're using? 1Password do back up your data daily as often as it can when there are changes made to it. So, the idea is that you back up the current data file, restore from the backup created with those 6 new items and then export those items. Restore back to the newer data file and import your changes into it.

Please let me know about which OS version.

Thanks!

• My OS is 10.8.2 and my 1Password version is 3.8.20 (build 31499). Funny thing...I just logged into 1Password from the little key in Safari and those 6 items are still showing there. But when I log in from the icon in the dock the 6 newest items are gone and the data from my old laptop shows there...what did I do wrong??? I admit I have not spent a lot of time learning this program, but my "very poor memory" loves it. :)

• I was with you up until the middle of number 4. I opened 1Password, clicked on Logins, but where do I paste the copied information?

• Thank you for your help...I love this program. Lorie

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai

Hi Lorie,

You're welcome, I'm glad I was able to help.

• Mike, can you please help with one more thing? Evidently, Safari is not synced with 1 password so I think I need to reinstall that little key thing for Safari...as usual, I am clueless. :)

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer

Can you confirm for me that the items are showing up in the main 1Password application now after following the steps Mike listed before? I just want to be sure before we go too far. :)

• Yes, all seems to be synced and working well. Lorie

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai

Hi Lorie,

Thanks for the update. If we could be of further help, just let us know.

Have a great day!