This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

from iOS to Mac

rvb
rvb
edited February 2013 in 1Password 3 for Mac

hi,

i use 1password on my iPhone and my iPad, they're sync'ed via iCloud.

i just bought 1password from the Mac app store, and i am now wondering what would be the best way to configure it.

are there some necessary steps to transfer my data? should i first disable the iCloud sync on my iOS devices in order to use the Dropbox sync?

thanks for your help!

Comments

• thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator

Hey rvb

There is no need to disable iCloud sync prior to setting up Dropbox syncing, they can actually both run at the same time with no adverse effects.

All you should need to do is enable Dropbox, Make sure and allow the sync time to finish. As a personal thing I do, I run the Dropbox sync manually 3 or 4 times after the initial one is finished. Once finished turn on Dropbox sync on the Mac and it should find the Data file in Dropbox and prompt you to use it.

• SpaceAce
    SpaceAce
    edited February 2013

So you seriously trust your key-chain-file to some cloud service???
    I can't believe this...

You should NEVER EVER give away your key-chain! Neither to iCloud, nor to Dropbox nor to any other external (i.e. out of your reach) storage!
    Then all it takes is a keyboard-log of your master-password and all your account, logins & more are compromised... (Also see thread http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/11641/could-there-be-a-backdoor )

And that's the reason why so many people keep asking for version 4.x for Mac because it will reintroduce a local sync option again (by USB this time)

When it comes to security: Be paranoid. Be careful. And think.

• thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited February 2013

SpaceAce

Thanks for your point of view. If its always been good for the Developers, its good enough for me. Dropbox sync that is.

Each person has to decide there respective wants and desires with need for access. 1Password 4 is in development and a usb sync option is also in development. I personally have no issue with Dropbox at all, and my keychain resides there for my syncing needs.

As to when you will see them, when they are ready is what the team has said.

I do suspect betas of 1Password 4 hopefully sooner rather than later. :) the usb sync option is already in private beta testing.

• well, there's a right balance to find between security and convenience, i guess it's a matter of personal usage/preference.

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai

Hi @SpaceAce,

While you do have valid concerns, your needs are not the same as others. Many people are willing to put their data files in the cloud storage, they understand what it takes to break into their data files and they're okay with it. Just because you don't believe so, does not mean you should push others to do what you think is better. It's their choice to decide between the security they need and the convenience they want.

The USB Sync tool is a separate app that'll work for both 1Password 3 and 1Password 4 data files, it does not require 1Password 4 for Mac at all.