This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

G-Bye Family License with v3.9+/MAS

Just to be clear, sounds like there will no longer be a Family license version and no upgrade accommodation for existing family license holders now that 1P v3.9+ will only be offered via the Mac App Store -correct? Just to be clear...all discussions talk about how MAS licensing allows multiple downloads however, that is for only a single AppleID. The Family license is for multiple users within the same household -this is not the same thing. Between myself, my wife and my child (all with our own macs and our own AppleIDs on our respective machines we have gotten by on a single $69 family license. As I read what's happening, we're going to have to now spend $50 each ($150 total) to be able to stay up with and continue on to version 4. So it's sad that we're going to get left behind.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator

wwong

Here is a quote from here http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/8068-official-answers-1password-and-the-mac-app-store/

What about your awesome licensing model? Can I still use 1 purchase across multiple Macs?

Mac App Store licensing works very similar to iTunes licensing. Purchases are tied to your Apple ID. You can install 1Password on all of the computers you personally own and have tied to your Apple ID. To do so, launch the Mac App Store and select the "Purchased" tab at the top. Then you can select the "Install" button next to 1Password.

Basically you sign into that machine with your apple id and click install. Then change back to there respective id

You only end up paying $50 @ 1 time. Its permissible to install the app on all machines you feel comfortable having tied to your apple id

• thightower
    edited February 2013

ps Thats how the wife and I use iCloud we have our respective IDs for syning etc, but we share a iTunes , Mac App Store ID across all our machines that way we only need to purchase 1 copy of apps and its all within how the app store works.

We only buy apps once for a his and hers use and some times include the kids in that equation. Just like you.

• Thanks for replying... especially since so many are confusing the MAS re-downloadable licensing option with what a Family license really is ( for other family members not multiple machines of one individual). So you are advocating that on literally any machine, you create another user (your AppleID rather than the machine owner's Apple ID) and that gives you the right to re-download Apps which you then make available to the original owner for their use. While I'm sure that is technically possible, it does not feel like it's following the license agreement... but what do I know.

Does AgileBits agree with this as how they want their Family license users to upgrade? I guess I'm a fool for purchasing multiple individual copies of the new 1P v4 for iOS for each of our IPhones/iPads as well.

• thightower
    edited February 2013

This is there knowledge base http://support.agilebits.com/kb/1password-39-for-mac-from-mac-app-store/i-have-multiple-macs-do-i-need-to-purchase-1password-more-than-once

--

Tom Hightower

AgileBits (1Password) Support Moderator / Dropbox Forum Moderator

**See specifically the last statement about households

• thightower
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai

Hi @wwong,

1Password 4 will now be offered for our web store customers as well, including the family licenses. We'll release more information soon but if you don't need iCloud sync, you can stick with the current license you have and upgrade when we release 1Password 4 for Mac.

If you do need iCloud, which is only available for Apple's App Stores, we're absolutely okay with you using your own AppleID account to download 1Password at no extra costs on family Macs and other Macs you own.

Please note that the family members will need your AppleID to download the free updates, so you may either share your AppleID account or you can create a separate AppleID for family use. It's easier to stick with the same AppleID but it is up to you how you'd like to handle this. Mac App Store app lets you easily sign out and sign into a different AppleID, the same goes for the App Store on your iOS devices, you didn't have to purchase the app for each family member.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have further questions.