This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

How can I get access to my 1Password data from an iPad 1?

I seem to have a roadblock using my iPad1 with 1Password. I didn't buy 1Password for iOS before the iOS6-only version, so can't run 1Password as a native app.

1PasswordAnywhere doesn't work for me (I get the "problem loading 1Password data file" error), at least when opened from any of the apps I've tried so far (Dropbox.app itself, Readdle Documents etc).

Can anyone suggest a way?

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai

Hi @crisbennett,

1PasswordAnywhere requires a web browser, the apps you've tried won't work. You need to do this in the Mobile Safari to view your data on the iPad 1st gen.

Hope this helps for now. We're still trying to figure out a way to get you 1Password on the older iPads.

• @MikeT: thanks for the reply.

Actually I have a bit of a correction to my previous my previous post: if I sync my Dropbox/1Password folder to Readdle Documents, it does run the 1PasswordAnywhere app correctly. It uses a built-in browser to render html docs. I guess the key is the syncing (which would make the other files in the 1Password.agilekeychain package available with correct relative paths). It's extremely slow, taking couple of minutes to display after tapping 'unlock'. So not very practical, but interesting that it works at all.

The trouble with the Mobile Safari route is that I would need 1Password to log into the Dropbox web app to get to the 1PasswordAnywhere.html file (which I don't fancy making public!).

The situation does tempt with dangerous solutions: using the same password for Dropbox and 1Password, for example.

• I found myself needing to login to Dropbox to use 1PasswordAnywhere on other machines, for example our church media PC, and so I used 1Password to generate a 'Pronounceable' password for Dropbox, for example merb-yep-ec-ur-wav (that isn't my actual Dropbox password, just in case anyone is worried I've just leaked my own password in public).

What I also did is to turn on Dropbox's 2-step authentication, I have the Google Authenticator app on my iPhone which I always carry with me (yes it has 1Password on there too so I can lookup the Dropbox password if I forget it). That gives me extra security for logging into Dropbox on any device I don't have 1Password already on and I can use 1PasswordAnywhere.

Just my 2p / 2c on the situation.

• @stu: OK, I've just tried that. It's a workable solution for now (though perhaps clumsy enough to discourage doing me from doing much secure stuff on the old iPad!). Interesting that 1PasswordAnywhere is so much faster in mobile safari than in Readdle Documents, even though the latter must presumably still be using UIWebView.

Thanks for your help.

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai

Hi @crisbennet,

That's always going to be the case for any third party browsers including our own 1Password's browser, there isn't any other way to render websites beside UIWebView at the moment. Apple only allows JIT access for its browser but disables it for the rest of the browser apps since JIT bypasses certain memory protections.

• @MikeT: right, that makes sense, thanks. Stu's workaround does look the best for now, then, I guess.