This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

I just changed my Master Password, but my browser extension doesn't recognize it (Mac)

dteare
dteare Agile Founder
edited February 2013 in Knowledge Base & FAQs

imageIn some cases, the 1Password browser extension might not recognize when you change your Master Password in the main application, or if you start using a new data file (perhaps by double-clicking said file). In these cases, the extension might get stuck on the "Initializing..." message (pictured).

This is a bug we're working on squashing. In the meantime, to fix the problem you can reinstall or "reset" your browser extension. Here are instructions for each browser:

Step 1: Delete your current extension

Simply dragging the 1Password button out of your browser's toolbar does not actually uninstall the extension (this goes for any extension you use, not just ours). To truly uninstall the 1Password extension, follow these steps:

Safari

In Safari, select Safari > Preferences from the menu bar. On the Extensions pane, click on 1Password in the list of extensions then the "Uninstall" button.

Firefox

1. In Firefox, select Tools > Add-ons from the menu bar.
  2. Click the Remove button to remove the 1Password extension.
  3. Quit Firefox.
  4. In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder from the menu bar.
  5. Copy and paste the following path and press Return:

~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles

6. Move the OnePassword.sqlite file you see there to the desktop.

Once everything is working well, you can safely move the OnePassword.sqlite file on the desktop to the trash.

Chrome

In Chrome, select Window > Extensions from the menu bar. Click the "Remove" button next to the 1Password extension.

Step 2: Reinstall your extension(s)

1. Open 1Password and unlock it with your Master Password.
  2. Select 1Password > Install Browser Extensions from the menu bar.
  3. Reinstall extensions for any browser(s) you use and they should now recognize your new Master Password.