This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

How do I configure when I need to enter my Master Password?

dteare
dteare Agile Founder
edited February 2013 in Knowledge Base & FAQs

1Password has several locking options available to allow you to tailor things to your personal preference and needs. You can configure these setting by selecting the 1Password > Preferences menu, and then selecting the Security tab.

What is Universal Unlock?

Universal Unlock allows you to configure the main 1Password and browser extensions to lock and unlock together. For example, when enabled, there is no need to unlock the Safari extension and main 1Password application separately.

Can I prevent 1Password from ever asking for my password?

In previous versions of 1Password there was a setting in the Preferences called "Never prompt for master password". When enabled, your password would be stored into the OS X Login keychain and you would never need to enter your password, even across OS X restarts.

This setting caused issues for many users, however, as they would not need to type their password for months or even years, as the login keychain remembered it for them. When the login keychain would become corrupted or their password was deleted accidentally, many no longer remembered what their password was, causing all of 1Password's encrypted data to become inaccessible forever.

Starting in 1Password 3.9 this option was removed entirely in order to prevent this scenario from ever happening.

With that said, you can configure 1Password to not require your password very often. If you would prefer to enter your password very infrequently, disable all of the Autolock settings. With all Autolock settings disabled, you will only need to enter your master password once after every restart of OS X, or if you are using Fast User Switching.