This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Problem Migrating From KeePass

cameroncf
cameroncf Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
I'm in the midst of re-evaluating my password keeper program, and like that 1Password seems to have a more highly rated iPad and iPhone version than KeePass. However, given the hundreds of passwords I have in KeePass, I definitely require a working import function. Having said that - I can't get the KeePass->1Password import to work at all - here's what I have done:

First I exported my KeePass passwords to a *.csv file. Here's problem one. The 1Password instructions way to choose "Export - > txt format". There is no choice for txt format in KeePass, only csv format. I do know that csv is a text format, but the terminology discrepancy does raise an eyebrow.

I then copied the csv file to my MBP, went to the import assistant in 1Password, chose "KeePass" as the format type, and chose the csv file. At this point I do see the text contained in the csv file, but I cannot get beyond this screen. Selecting "Start Import" here results in an error "Failed to interpret the output of the import script - please make sure the file you are using for import is correct".

I've tried different Char encodings on the importer, and have looked at the csv file. Am I just doing something wrong?

Using KeePass (PC Version) 2.10 and 1Password for Mac v 3.1.2.

-Cameron

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, Cameron. I'm sorry about the trouble you're having. It seems like maybe our instructions apply to an older version of KeePass, given the import error and the inaccurate verbiage. I don't have an immediate solution for you, but we'll test this and update the thread with our findings. In the meantime, try the Generic Text importer (File > Import > Generic Text) and see how that goes.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    I don't know if it's true in your case, but one thing we point out in our [URL="http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/import_passwords.html"]Import documentation[/URL] for generic CSV files is that there can't be any blank lines. You might want to look at this and remove them if you find any and then try the import again.
  • bcbeck
    bcbeck Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I'm also trying to import from KeePass and was having the same problem. I saved my KeePass data as an old format kdb file, loaded it into KeePass 1.x then followed the instructions for exporting as a txt file. When I imported the result into 1Password it worked -- almost. For some reason it won't read the username field. Other fields came across OK. Short of patching up all my usernames by hand, anyone have a suggestion?
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='bcbeck']I'm also trying to import from KeePass and was having the same problem. I saved my KeePass data as an old format kdb file, loaded it into KeePass 1.x then followed the instructions for exporting as a txt file. When I imported the result into 1Password it worked -- almost. For some reason it won't read the username field. Other fields came across OK. Short of patching up all my usernames by hand, anyone have a suggestion?[/QUOTE]

If you can send us 3 or 4 lines of sanitized import file data records (including any header if one is present) we can take a look at what's going on.
  • bcbeck
    bcbeck Junior Member
    edited June 2010
    [quote name='MartyS']If you can send us 3 or 4 lines of sanitized import file data records (including any header if one is present) we can take a look at what's going on.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the delay. I've got a small test file that illustrates the problem that I could send. What's the best way? Don't want to lose the Unicode BOM char by posting it here. In the meantime the file looks like this. Just picture a U+FEFF as the first character

[FONT="Courier New"][CNN2]

UserName: Suzy

URL:

Password: abcdefg

Notes: This is a note

[Fedex2]

UserName: Tommy

URL: [url]http://fedex.com[/url]

Password: abcdefg

Notes: Note 2[/FONT]
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='bcbeck']Sorry for the delay. I've got a small test file that illustrates the problem that I could send. What's the best way? [/QUOTE]

You can always send an e-mail to [email]support@agile.ws[/email].

Thanks!