This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Multiple Users

<div class="IPBDescription">Two (or more) different sets of User ID's/Passwords</div>Is there a way to setup 1Password so that one User (i.e. one Logon) on a computer sees one list of User ID's/Passwords and another User (i.e. different Logon) sees a different list of User ID's/Passwords?

I currently own 1Password for the Mac and iPhone and am using DropBox syncing; my wife is a Windows user(and also has DropBox on her PC). I would like to put 1Password/Windows on her computer and allow her to keep her own User ID's/Passwords in it but we also have a Logon for me on her PC and when I logon to her PC I would like to be able to use my collection of User ID's/Passwords. I don't want to combine them into one "file" because I have hundreds whereas she has a much smaller number and there is very little overlap.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• I have a very similar need. I have 2 users, sharing 3 MAC's and a 1Password family plan.

I'd like for each of us to be a be able to access our own 1Pawword keychain, whichever computer I'm on at the moment.

I'm not clear what my options are.
  • rsilber
    rsilber Junior Member
    [quote name='DougPA' timestamp='1281626871' post='8399']

Is there a way to setup 1Password so that one User (i.e. one Logon) on a computer sees one list of User ID's/Passwords and another User (i.e. different Logon) sees a different list of User ID's/Passwords?

I currently own 1Password for the Mac and iPhone and am using DropBox syncing; my wife is a Windows user(and also has DropBox on her PC). I would like to put 1Password/Windows on her computer and allow her to keep her own User ID's/Passwords in it but we also have a Logon for me on her PC and when I logon to her PC I would like to be able to use my collection of User ID's/Passwords. I don't want to combine them into one "file" because I have hundreds whereas she has a much smaller number and there is very little overlap.

Thanks for your help.

[/quote]

You should be able to set your own parameters on your unique login on your wife's machine. Once you're logged in and launch 1 Password, tell it where YOUR file resides in DropBox.
  • [quote name='rsilber' timestamp='1281748026' post='8698']

You should be able to set your own parameters on your unique login on your wife's machine. Once you're logged in and launch 1 Password, tell it where YOUR file resides in DropBox.

[/quote]

I was able to setup a different 1Password database for each "User" (mine and my wife's) on the Windows PC. I simply put the database in the User's "MyDocuments/1Password" folder. That seems to work. When I switch to the appropriate User I seem to have the correct 1Password entries in my browser (Firefox).

Then I tried changing the one in my Windows User to point to the Dropbox folder (which is in the "Public/My Documents". That worked as well. This one is synced with 1Password on my Mac.

I'm guessing that I could uniquely name the two databases (mine and my wife's) and put them both in the DropBox folder. That way I could sync both to my Mac. On the Mac I also have two logins setup, one for me and one for my wife. (it gets even more confusing when we start to talk about my second Mac, my iPhone and my wife's iPhone).

That said, it looks as though the technical issues may not be a problem. Now my confusion is what sort of License do I need? I think the Mac license is for a User but it doesn't include the Windows version. Does that mean I need four licenses; Mac for me and my wife and Windows for each as well? (maybe a family license Mac and a family license Windows?).

This is a great product and I'm glad to see it extended to Windows but I can't figure out what to buy to be legitimate (license wise that is).
  • rsilber
    rsilber Junior Member
    [quote name='DougPA' timestamp='1281805508' post='8737']

I was able to setup a different 1Password database for each "User" (mine and my wife's) on the Windows PC. I simply put the database in the User's "MyDocuments/1Password" folder. That seems to work. When I switch to the appropriate User I seem to have the correct 1Password entries in my browser (Firefox).

Then I tried changing the one in my Windows User to point to the Dropbox folder (which is in the "Public/My Documents". That worked as well. This one is synced with 1Password on my Mac.

I'm guessing that I could uniquely name the two databases (mine and my wife's) and put them both in the DropBox folder. That way I could sync both to my Mac. On the Mac I also have two logins setup, one for me and one for my wife. (it gets even more confusing when we start to talk about my second Mac, my iPhone and my wife's iPhone).

That said, it looks as though the technical issues may not be a problem. Now my confusion is what sort of License do I need? I think the Mac license is for a User but it doesn't include the Windows version. Does that mean I need four licenses; Mac for me and my wife and Windows for each as well? (maybe a family license Mac and a family license Windows?).

This is a great product and I'm glad to see it extended to Windows but I can't figure out what to buy to be legitimate (license wise that is).

[/quote]

The way I understand the license agreement is that you and your wife would need separate licenses, so a family pack would be good. I'm also understanding that the Windows version will be an extra license (I'll need one too), but Agile might offer a better rate for those of us who have 1Password for Mac and iPhone.
  • cdenesha
    cdenesha Junior Member
    [quote name='DougPA' timestamp='1281805508' post='8737']

[/quote]

I recomend creating a different sub-folder in Dropbox for you and for your wife. It'll be less confusing once you start syncing everything!

I'm pretty sure it is time to upgrade to a family license if you want your wife to have 1P on the Mac, and also a family plan for Windows (1/2 price right now). I don't have an iPhone but you might need 2 for the 2 phones.

chris