This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Backup location cannot be set up

Locker
Locker
edited December 1969 in Knox
2.0 (118 )

I just now tried Knox. Created a CD-size vault in the default location, and tried to set the location of the backup to a dropbox folder.

I could set up the location in the Preferences:Backups: Backup location: Local Disk: /Users/.../Dropbox/...

But when selecting "Backup...", the list of vault (only one at the moment) appeared, with a status of "The backup location is not set.". Pressing the "Set" button highlighted the button, but no selection dialog appeared, and of couse I could not do any backup.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited May 2010
    [SIZE="1"]Locker

On the backup pane select "all vaults" at the top if you don't you will get that screen where you have to specify each vault to back up to separate locations or even the same one.

Once you set it to all vaults you will get the same screen but the backup locations have been populated, and a check mark appears next t the location. From this point you can do your backup.

Now provided you dont want them all backed up to the same place let Knox open that screen and then specify the location in that screen for that particular vault. Edit : I have not seen the behavior you described.

[/SIZE]

Edit I also just realized I was still running 1.64 not 2.0 duh
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    Also as a side note to you.

I have had my Knox vaults in DB for over a year and never had a problem with them.

Oh I also said Hi in the other thread. :) but Hi again.
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    I see what you mean, I was unable to specify my backup location, so I rolled back to 1.64
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for pointing out the issue! We'll look into this and see what can be done to improve the process.
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777 AWS Code Wrangler
    edited May 2010
    I just tested this with the latest Knox 2.0 release, and I was able to specify a backups location in iDisk, Local Disk, and a Network Disk, so I'm not sure what the issue is here… Let's start by making sure we're on the same operating system release. I'm on 10.6.3. Do you see any messages from Knox in Console (Search "Knox" to filter.) when you try to change the backup location?
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    Hi Jamie,

I Just got home and tried to replicate this on my iMac, but no success v 2.0 worked fine and allowed me to set a back up location correctly. So I proceeded to uninstall 1.64 via appdelete (did this before as well, my weapon of choice) on my macbook. All went well this time as well. I can only speculate that maybe last evening something didn't actually get removed by appdelete and was preventing me from selecting my backup location.

10.6.3 btw for what its worth now. :smile:
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the update, Tommy, and for trying to reproduce it.
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    I was able to reproduce the problem Locker raised about the Set button not working on the Backup window, but I was able to set the path correctly in the Backup Preferences:

[indent][img]http://cdn.agile.ws/dave/Knox_Preferences-20100517-110549.jpg[/img][/indent]

Once the path was set in Preferences, the backup was able to complete fine. We'll look at the Set button issue but wanted to confirm this is the only issue.
  • Locker
    Locker
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='dteare']I was able to reproduce the problem Locker raised about the Set button not working on the Backup window, but I was able to set the path correctly in the Backup Preferences:[/QUOTE]

Yes. That's indeed the issue: "Set" button unresponsive.

I did try to set the path in the Preferences, but did it only to the "New Vault Defaults". Of course it did not set the path for the existing vault that I've already created before, so it did not change the backup screen, the "Set" button was still there, and I could not do a backup.

Once I set the path for my existing vault, the "Set" button disappeared, as the case for your "Documents" vault, and I was able to do the backup. so this part is OK.

Which leave us only with the first issue.
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Locker']Yes. That's indeed the issue: "Set" button unresponsive.[/quote]

Cool. Thanks for the update!
  • Locker
    Locker
    edited May 2010
    Just another observation:

I just checked again, and the setting that I assigned earlier were forgotten.

I don't know if it is because of a reboot, or after I entered a license, or any other reason.

I was able to set the path again, through the Preferences:Backups, and it works again.

update:

It's not due to a simple reboot.
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the additional updates.