This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Dropbox sync on iOS4 is not instantaneous like on Mac/Windows

hershey
hershey Junior Member
edited August 2010 in iOS
I have moved my 1P agilekeychain to Dropbox. I have installed the latest version of 1P on my mac. I have installed the latest version of 1P Pro on my iPhone 3Gs. I have done a manual sync on my iPhone and all went well. I changed an item with the mac and it synced with Dropbox. I can not get the iPhone to sync with any changes made to the mac and I can not get the iphone to sync changes made on the iphone back to the mac, unless, and until, I do a manual sync on the iPhone via More.. > Sync > Dropbox > Sync Now.

I thought all this was automatic. If I have to manually sync each time a change is made, I would rather have the keychain local instead of out in the cloud.

So, I must be doing something wrong. I just checked the description of the process again and it sure looks like all this should be automatic.

Please help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Streakmachine
    Streakmachine Junior Member
    edited August 2010
    You are completely correct that it should be a completely automatic procedure. After getting the 3.5.2 update I finally got the whole dropbox sync working and every time I start 1Password it does a sync, completely without the need for me to get my hands dirty.

Is there any error message or other funny business going on? Any bit of information can be helpful.

Whenever I have had some trouble with 1Password on the iPhone, so far it's helped to remove it and then add it again. Gets rid of all the settings which are probably causing the problems, but also all data. As always, backup, backup and backup before attempting. Just to be on the safe side. Then it's a matter of setting up the dropbox sync again and everything should be roses and wine.

But before taking my rather brutal approach, perhaps it's best to wait for some more comments. Maybe someone has the very exact answer you need.
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited August 2010
    [quote name='hershey' timestamp='1281727986' post='8664']

I have moved my 1P agilekeychain to Dropbox. I have installed the latest version of 1P on my mac. I have installed the latest version of 1P Pro on my iPhone 3Gs. I have done a manual sync on my iPhone and all went well. I changed an item with the mac and it synced with Dropbox. I can not get the iPhone to sync with any changes made to the mac and I can not get the iphone to sync changes made on the iphone back to the mac, unless, and until, I do a manual sync on the iPhone via More.. > Sync > Dropbox > Sync Now.

I thought all this was automatic. If I have to manually sync each time a change is made, I would rather have the keychain local instead of out in the cloud.

So, I must be doing something wrong. I just checked the description of the process again and it sure looks like all this should be automatic.

Please help.

Thanks.

[/quote]

To save battery life, 1Password will sync whenever you unlock or open/save a login. You should be able to tell by the network activity icon on the iPhone's status bar. Changes on the computers will by synced to the cloud automatically but it is not automatically pulled down on the iOS devices unless you do something to start off a sync such as unlocking or opening or switching Logins. You should not be forcing a sync each time.

You may need to reset the Dropbox Sync to reconfigure it, it could fix the issue for you:

Settings > Sync > Dropbox > Account > Reset
  • taoman
    taoman Member
    Hi,

it seems working, you have to relaunch the 1P app

if you stay in the app, nothing changes.

it seems also there is a timer, may be 2 minutes betwwen to sync

it will be hopefull if we had a sync log, to see what happens ...

A great feature will be to add the count per item to help to compare with MAC

Regards
  • hershey
    hershey Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies. After looking at all the suggestions, I am in the process of reinstalling the app on my iPhone because my setup looks fine after a recheck. It is syncing everything right now. I will report back.
  • hershey
    hershey Junior Member
    Reinstalled the app, selected Dropbox sync and the sync started and completed with all entries mirrored.

Ended the 1P program on the iPhone by deleting from multi-tasking queue to make sure it is not running.

Added a wallet item to the mac version

Waited 5 minutes

Started the 1P app on the iPhone, entered the unlock code.

Wait 5 minutes … no sync, new item does not appear on the iPhone.

Close 1P app again on the iPhone.

Started the 1P app again on the iPhone and entered the unlock code.

…..

It has now been 16 minutes since I added the new item to the Wallet on the mac and there is no sync on the iPhone.

Repeat quit and restart app on the iPhone several times to force code unlock.

Still no sync.

It has been 19 minutes since I made the change on the mac.

Repeat quit restart and this time, and still no sync.

I manually synced with Sync Now…...

"Downloading 1 Potential Update…..

The new item now appears in the Wallet on the iPhone.

If you guys weren't telling me this worked for you, I would give up at this point and move my keychain back to my local drive.

Any suggestions ?
  • hershey
    hershey Junior Member
    An update.

After that last forced sync, I made additional changes to the new wallet item on the iPhone and those changes showed up on the mac version fairly quickly.

So, it looks like I have a one-way problem (Mac to iPhone).
  • hershey
    hershey Junior Member
    Another update.

Made an additional change to the same new item on the mac. Still a no-show on the iPhone.

Just for grins … I don't have to have the actual Dropbox iPhone app running on this phone for things to work, do I ???
  • hershey
    hershey Junior Member
    Final update.

First, thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it.

After waiting for over 2 hours for a mac update to appear on my iPhone, I gave up and turned the phone off.

This morning, the update from yesterday appeared as soon as I turned on the app.

So, I guess the sync works if you are willing to wait long enough.

Not good.
  • roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    edited August 2010
    The sync on iOS is different from what you may be used to on Mac or Windows.

Currently sync will be only start after you unlock the app or after you make a change on iPhone/iPad.

Every sync session will drain your battery and we are trying to not run sync too often.
  • hershey
    hershey Junior Member
    OK. Thanks.