This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Not accepting my PW

Gazooo123
Gazooo123 Junior Member
Every once in a while 1Password Android just wont accept my password. I know it is right because I can see it, the app just shakes for wrong pw entry. It usually resolves by exiting the program once or twice.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Moto Droid

BB running Froyo 2.2

Comments

• GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    Hi Gazooo123

Thank you for your feedback, so far nobody reported the issue.I recommend you to use a "Show Password" checkbox

in order to see an exact password you type (I myself make tons of mistakes typing on a logical keyboard ;-<) .

Notice that after your sync with Dropbox the password may be different (if you change your 1P data file

password on your PC/Mac).That is why 1Password for Android ask you for your password after reloading.

Regards,

Gene

Android Developer
  • I am running 1P for Windows (Beta) and 1P for Android (Beta). The Windows version is 1.0/0/116 and the Android version is . I am using Dropbox to sync them.

I installed the Windows version, created a key chain in a Dropbox folder (My Dropbox\Security\1Password). I used a five (5) character password. I entered some data into 1P on the PC side. I then installed 1P for the Android and told it to get the data from Dropbox. On the Android I waited for sync and then OK and then entered the password I set up on the PC. All is well.

Next I added some data on the PC. After insuring that Dropbox was finished syncing, I asked the Android 1P to sync. It did and got some new files. When it finished with status 1, I touched Reload and it asked me for my password. I entered it at least four (4) times and it keeps refusing it. When I enter a password which I know is right, it just gives me the password dialog again. When I enter a password I know is incorrect, it "wiggles" the box and tells me that it is wrong. It seems to know right from wrong (LOL), but simply ignores right. I did use the Show Password feature and know the password was correct.

I have repeated this twice, but on the phone only. After the first failure I deleted the /sdcard/dropbox/1password folder on the phone and tried again. It asked me for the password (???) and once again refused it. I then uninstalled 1P from the phone, reinstalled it, resynced and all is well. After adding more data to the PC, same problem, it won't accept the password. This time I deleted the /sdcard/dropbox/1password folder. Once again it asked for my password. This time, instead of uninstalling 1P, I rebooted my phone. It again asked where my keychain is and I pointed it to Dropbox. After syncing, it worked fine. I suspect adding more data on the PC and syncing again will cause the same problem since it's already happened twice.

After the failures, I went to dropbox.com and into the the 1P folder. There is a .html file there so I opened it. I entered the same password there and it took it. I suspect PC to Dropbox is fine, but it's losing/corrupting/changing the password when it goes to the Android.

Windows 7 and Android 2.2. I'll be happy to supply anything else you need.

Thanks!

Larry
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    edited September 2010
    Hi Larry,

I am sorry to hear about this problem, I spent a whole hour today syncing my Nexus 1 (OS 2.2) with my Mac, trying different

combinations, syncing, adding/changing/deleting some items on Mac, resyncing again, etc. So far, I was not able to reproduce the issue.

I will probably need to install 1P for Windows and give it another try.There may some specific related to OS.

I thank you for your detailed explanation,please do some testing for me and let me know the results.

1. Do fresh install of 1P for Android, sync with PC and let me know if you got all files and can login OK.

1. Do sync without making any change to your data file (empty sync), reload app, enter your password and make sure you can proceed.

2. Next, add just 1 file on PC, sync again and make sure you got the file,click Reload and enter your password

3. Next, change just 1 file on PC, sync again and make sure you got the file,click Reload and enter your password

4. Next, change Master password on PC,sync again and make sure you got the encryptionKeys.js file's new version,click Reload and enter your password

I repeated these steps multiple times and wasn't able to reproduce the issue.

BTW, please use very simple pass as a first try (something like 12345).

And also please report your phone's version and OS.

Thank you again for your help

Best Regards,

Gene

[quote name='lhuff' timestamp='1284569199' post='11232']

I am running 1P for Windows (Beta) and 1P for Android (Beta). The Windows version is 1.0/0/116 and the Android version is . I am using Dropbox to sync them.

I installed the Windows version, created a key chain in a Dropbox folder (My Dropbox\Security\1Password). I used a five (5) character password. I entered some data into 1P on the PC side. I then installed 1P for the Android and told it to get the data from Dropbox. On the Android I waited for sync and then OK and then entered the password I set up on the PC. All is well.

Next I added some data on the PC. After insuring that Dropbox was finished syncing, I asked the Android 1P to sync. It did and got some new files. When it finished with status 1, I touched Reload and it asked me for my password. I entered it at least four (4) times and it keeps refusing it. When I enter a password which I know is right, it just gives me the password dialog again. When I enter a password I know is incorrect, it "wiggles" the box and tells me that it is wrong. It seems to know right from wrong (LOL), but simply ignores right. I did use the Show Password feature and know the password was correct.

I have repeated this twice, but on the phone only. After the first failure I deleted the /sdcard/dropbox/1password folder on the phone and tried again. It asked me for the password (???) and once again refused it. I then uninstalled 1P from the phone, reinstalled it, resynced and all is well. After adding more data to the PC, same problem, it won't accept the password. This time I deleted the /sdcard/dropbox/1password folder. Once again it asked for my password. This time, instead of uninstalling 1P, I rebooted my phone. It again asked where my keychain is and I pointed it to Dropbox. After syncing, it worked fine. I suspect adding more data on the PC and syncing again will cause the same problem since it's already happened twice.

After the failures, I went to dropbox.com and into the the 1P folder. There is a .html file there so I opened it. I entered the same password there and it took it. I suspect PC to Dropbox is fine, but it's losing/corrupting/changing the password when it goes to the Android.

Windows 7 and Android 2.2. I'll be happy to supply anything else you need.

Thanks!

Larry

[/quote]
  • lhuff
    edited September 2010
    Thanks Gene, (See UPDATE below)

Well, I tried all of the steps as you have them listed and everything worked well. My feeble old mind won't let me remember what I did before to make it fail, but I'll keep playing around with it and if it fails again, I'll post the steps that made it fail. If not, sorry for the bother.

I'll try some multiple adds and some multi-adds with different types (although I suspect that won't matter). I had also added some folders before so I''ll try that again.

Thanks again for the help.

UPDATE: Well, I added 6 records of the same (SSN) type and synced again. It found and got new data. I then hit the "Reload" button. It wouldn't take my password. It gives the "Validating" message and then the password box pops back up. It's not the same behavior as when I enter an invalid password. It just says "Validating..." and gives the box back.

When I do a sync, it always gives me the Android "Send Mail" dialog which dismisses it's self after a few seconds.

This was the same instance of 1P on the phone as when I ran your test.

It is an HTC EVO 4G with Android 2.2 Baseband 2.15.00.07.28. It is the stock ROM and the Sense build is 3.26.651.6 CL218634 release-keys.

Oh, one other thing. Deleting the 1P folder from the Dropbox folder on the SD card and resyncing doesn't make it where it will take my password. Nor does doing the above and re-starting the phone. However, deleting the 1P file, re-starting the phone and then doing the sync does work.

Larry

[quote name='GeneY' timestamp='1284648895' post='11293']

Hi Larry,

I am sorry to hear about this problem, I spent a whole hour today syncing my Nexus 1 (OS 2.2) with my Mac, trying different

combinations, syncing, adding/changing/deleting some items on Mac, resyncing again, etc. So far, I was not able to reproduce the issue.

I will probably need to install 1P for Windows and give it another try.There may some specific related to OS.

I thank you for your detailed explanation,please do some testing for me and let me know the results.

1. Do fresh install of 1P for Android, sync with PC and let me know if you got all files and can login OK.

1. Do sync without making any change to your data file (empty sync), reload app, enter your password and make sure you can proceed.

2. Next, add just 1 file on PC, sync again and make sure you got the file,click Reload and enter your password

3. Next, change just 1 file on PC, sync again and make sure you got the file,click Reload and enter your password

4. Next, change Master password on PC,sync again and make sure you got the encryptionKeys.js file's new version,click Reload and enter your password

I repeated these steps multiple times and wasn't able to reproduce the issue.

BTW, please use very simple pass as a first try (something like 12345).

And also please report your phone's version and OS.

Thank you again for your help

Best Regards,

Gene

[/quote]
  • Hi Larry,

I am glad that your problem seems to go away and you can use 1P for Android.

In the meantime, please keep on eye on any "peculiarities" which you may notice.

BTW, I am working on new release , it will include some very important features,our customers should definitely like them.

Please stay tuned for the updates and always share with us your ideas and recommendations

on how to make 1Password for Android better!

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Gene

[quote name='lhuff' timestamp='1285017674' post='11616']

Thanks Gene, (See UPDATE below)

Well, I tried all of the steps as you have them listed and everything worked well. My feeble old mind won't let me remember what I did before to make it fail, but I'll keep playing around with it and if it fails again, I'll post the steps that made it fail. If not, sorry for the bother.

I'll try some multiple adds and some multi-adds with different types (although I suspect that won't matter). I had also added some folders before so I''ll try that again.

UPDATE: Well, I added 6 records of the same (SSN) type and synced again. It found and got new data. I then hit the "Reload" button. It wouldn't take my password. It gives the "Validating" message and then the password box pops back up. It's not the same behavior as when I enter an invalid password. It just says "Validating..." and gives the box back.

When I do a sync, it always gives me the Android "Send Mail" dialog which dismisses it's self after a few seconds.

This was the same instance of 1P on the phone as when I ran your test.

It is an HTC EVO 4G with Android 2.2 Baseband 2.15.00.07.28. It is the stock ROM and the Sense build is 3.26.651.6 CL218634 release-keys.

Oh, one other thing. Deleting the 1P folder from the Dropbox folder on the SD card and resyncing doesn't make it where it will take my password. Nor does doing the above and re-starting the phone. However, deleting the 1P file, re-starting the phone and then doing the sync does work.

Larry

[/quote]
  • Thanks Gene,

I can get around the problem by adding only one record before syncing or deleting the 1P file on my phone, rebooting and then re-syncing. Not ideal by a long shot, but maybe it'll help anyone else having the same problem.

I 'm looking forward to the upgrade.

Larry
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    edited September 2010
    Hi Larry,

Thank you very much for reporting the workaround solution to us, it will definitely help to identify the root of the problem.

I will be reviewing sync logic for the new release so please stay tuned for the application updates.

Best Regards,

Gene

[quote name='lhuff' timestamp='1285164932' post='11789']

Thanks Gene,

I can get around the problem by adding only one record before syncing or deleting the 1P file on my phone, rebooting and then re-syncing. Not ideal by a long shot, but maybe it'll help anyone else having the same problem.

I 'm looking forward to the upgrade.

Larry

[/quote]
  • I just had the same problem as the OP. 1Password for Android simply wouldn't accept my master password. Tried several times, with Show Password active, so I knew it was correct. I did not change the master password on my Mac (which continued to work fine).

Force stopping 1Password and restarting the application fixed the problem for now.

Droid Incredible w/Froyo
  • Hi gmark,

Thank you for your feedback, I will be reviewing the login logic for the next release so please stay tuned for the updates.

In the meantime,it will be really helpful if you could describe exact steps how you reproduced the issue (I tried really hard but was unable to

see it on my Nexus 1). Not sure if it is a particular sequence of user events which causes the issue or hardware peculiarities.

Best Regards,

Gene

[quote name='gmark' timestamp='1285428004' post='12016']

I just had the same problem as the OP. 1Password for Android simply wouldn't accept my master password. Tried several times, with Show Password active, so I knew it was correct. I did not change the master password on my Mac (which continued to work fine).

Force stopping 1Password and restarting the application fixed the problem for now.

Droid Incredible w/Froyo

[/quote]