This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Two different generated passwords saved for just one new login. Which is correct?

Chris1234
Chris1234 Junior Member
edited May 2010 in Mac
I generated a password for a login to a new site Sedo the other day. And 1P saved both the password and saved the login.

But when I later came to use it I found a different Saved Password to the password in the Saved Login.

So which is it?

I've had this problem before, but haven't yet had time to report it. But it wastes time trying to check which password works, which one does not, and then I need to resolve the issue in 1P so login works next time. I'm using 1P v3.1.2 with latest Snow 10.6.3 on a Intel Mac Mini.

Could this be because I sometimes need to change the suggested generated password because when its readable, it doesn't make sense to finish the password with a hyphen. So I then need to get 1P to generate another. So if you fixed this problem, then the first problem might not occur so often...

Shouldn't the passwords 1P generates and then saves be the same in both places?

I look forward to your response

Cris

Thursday, 2010/05/13 :-(

ps. For some reason, it refuses to upload png #4, just gives an exclamation mark, but not reason for refusal... It's only 90 kb, and one of the others is 135kb, so it's not a size problem. I tried twice. :'(

Comments

• MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    Only you can determine which password is really in effect for the saved Logins item, but in cases like this the one saved from the web form itself is more "reliable" since the value was "X" when you did the save, and you would have noticed if the web site had an issue with that value (too short/long, etc.).

You can get multiple Generated passwords for the same web site if you manually request to generate a password, and you also fill from an Identity while on the same form. Filling an Identity will automatically generate a password if password fields are present on the web form.
  • Chris1234
    Chris1234 Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Hmmm, I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend any more time writing up this 1Password problem...

There were six pngs which were originally attached to this post, although they are no longer here. That's because 1P generated six items for this one login. The fact that 1P generated six items demonstrates the problem. The creation times show how long it took to resolve what should instead be a pretty simple issue! See png:

1Password issue #27, 6 items for one login.png

It's pretty hard to see the creation date and time at the bottom of each item because it's so dark (that's a second problem that needs fixing). But fortunately a search on the word Sedo shows them far more clearly - the first is created 2010/04/29 06.11 and the last 06.37.

This means that it took me at least 26 minutes to persuade 1Password to cooperate and get my login working. 1Password saved three attempts at login, and three attempts for the password, and there might even have been other unsaved attempts, I don't remember.

So 1P obviously has a problem in these circumstances because I don't think that just saving a new login and having it work should take half an hour or so …

This implies there are three different problems here,

1) A generated password should not end in a - a hyphen, see original post

2) The typeface for the creation date and time at the bottom of each item should be changed from its current almost unreadable dark typeface on a dark background.

3) It shouldn't take take half an hour or so just to save a new login and get it to work.

And, in case you're wondering, yes - I do know what I'm doing. I've been using 1P since I first installed it 2007/11, and I have had Macs for maybe 25 years - my first Mac was a Mac Plus! 1P is usually an outstanding product, which it unfortunately is not in these circumstances.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    I agree with you... it shouldn't take so much effort for one Logins item. We'll see if there's anything we can do to smooth out the process, but what you encountered is hopefully the exception, not the rule.

I deleted your earlier uploaded images because we couldn't take the chance that any of those sets of passwords might be your actual one for that site or for any other.