This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Possible bug when updating after editing an entry

Ameria
Ameria Junior Member
I think I may have found a small, but awkward, bug in 1Password related to how updates are handled (or possibly just how edits and auto-lock are handled?).

Basically, I created an entry (directly in 1Password) and then went away to do something else (leaving the edit panel open). During this time 1Password locked itself, and when I came back a few hours later there was an upgrade prompt. I hit "update" and allowed it to do it's thing, but when the upgrade completed and 1Password restarted, my edits had not been saved - instead I had a blank entry labelled simply "login".

Now, I have to confess I haven't tried to reproduce this, but my assumption would be that one of either (1) auto-lock or (2) the update somehow allows the usual save-on-exit behaviour to be overridden, so any unsaved edits get lost when the application closes. Obviously this isn't a hard bug to avoid, but the fact that it can cause data loss for an unsuspecting user makes it worth having a look at, IMHO.

Anyway, apologies for the rather vague report, and keep up the good work on the app!

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    edited August 2010
    Hi, Ameria!

I just tried duplicating the issue you mentioned. First, I left a new login in Edit mode and then closed my laptop lid to lock 1Password. The data was preserved. Next, I created a new login and, also leaving it in Edit mode, updated to a new version of the software via the "Check for updates..." command. Still the data was preserved. I will keep an eye on this, but so far I have not previously seen this.

What versions of 1Password and OS X are you running?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! No data loss is acceptable data loss!

UPDATE: It would appear I spoke too soon. That magic combination of locking while editing coupled with an update of the locked app does the trick. Yeouch! I will file a bug report. Thanks again for catching that!