This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Dropbox file location

obatron
obatron Junior Member
I only have this on my Macs at the moment. Now that you have a Windows and Android version, I'm considering buying them as well. The question I have is that my keychain is under a folder in my dropbox. Can you select that folder when using dropbox to sync on Windows and the Android, or does the file have to sit at the top level of the dropbox folder? In other words, can I specify the location of the keychain in either app, especially when using dropbox?

Thanks!

Bb

Comments

• GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    edited August 2010
    Hi obatron,

First of all, Welcome to the Forum !

I am glad you raised this important question.

Of course, you can place 1P data file (1Password.agilekeychain) anywhere inside of your Dropbox.

The location of your data file is specified in the file .ws.agile.1Password.settings created by the 1P application for Mac/PC

and located in the top Dropbox directory (the file may be hidden from view on your desktop).

During syncing 1P for Android looks for this file inside of your Dropbox topmost folder.

If it is found (as it should always be), location of your keychain is taken from it.

However, if by any reason this file is not found , as a last resort, 1P for Android is looking for 1P Data File inside of Dropbox Root Directory).

Please let me know if you need more info.

Best Regards,

Gene

Android Developer

[quote name='obatron' timestamp='1282243611' post='9196']

I only have this on my Macs at the moment. Now that you have a Windows and Android version, I'm considering buying them as well. The question I have is that my keychain is under a folder in my dropbox. Can you select that folder when using dropbox to sync on Windows and the Android, or does the file have to sit at the top level of the dropbox folder? In other words, can I specify the location of the keychain in either app, especially when using dropbox?

Thanks!

Bb

[/quote]
  • [quote name='GeneY' timestamp='1282314358' post='9283']

During syncing 1P for Android looks for this file inside of your Dropbox topmost folder.

If it is found (as it should always be), location of your keychain is taken from it.

However, if by any reason this file is not found , as a last resort, 1P for Android is looking for 1P Data File inside of Dropbox Root Directory).

Best Regards,

Gene

Android Developer

[/quote]

Gene - Does this mean that the Android app will be constantly up-to-date with the latest copy of my keychain that is stored in my dropbox folder, every time I open the app? Or do I have to do some syncing with it between my dropbox and my phone in order to stay up to date?

Thanks!
  • ooklathemok
    edited August 2010
    I have a Droid X and it fails to find the .ws.agile.1Password.setting file. Upon further investigation, I don't see that file in my dropbox when I display hidden files. Any ideas where this .settings file may have ran off to? How can a create a new one?

EDIT: Ran the update. I see this file bread crumb is an addition to 3.3. I was still on 3.2.

[quote name='GeneY' timestamp='1282314358' post='9283']

Hi obatron,

First of all, Welcome to the Forum !

I am glad you raised this important question.

Of course, you can place 1P data file (1Password.agilekeychain) anywhere inside of your Dropbox.

The location of your data file is specified in the file .ws.agile.1Password.settings created by the 1P application for Mac/PC

and located in the top Dropbox directory (the file may be hidden from view on your desktop).

Best Regards,

Gene

Android Developer

[/quote]
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    Hi ooklathemok,

Just wanted to let you know that the .ws.agile.1Password.setting file is hidden and you need to enable "display hidden files" setting on your computer.

There is usually just one line in this file (location of the 1P data file), for ex in mine it is "1PasswordSync/1Password.agilekeychain".

The file was introduced around 1P 3.3.0. (for compatibility options, 1P for Android is looking for the data file in the root directory of Dropbox too).

Regards,

Gene

[quote name='ooklathemok' timestamp='1282360745' post='9367']

I have a Droid X and it fails to find the .ws.agile.1Password.setting file. Upon further investigation, I don't see that file in my dropbox when I display hidden files. Any ideas where this .settings file may have ran off to? How can a create a new one?

EDIT: Ran the update. I see this file bread crumb is an addition to 3.3. I was still on 3.2.

[/quote]
  • Is there a way to move the hidden .ws.agile.1Password.settings to a subdirectory? It currently resides in the root of my ipad.

Thanks!
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    Hi wrylopez,

By convention, this tiny system file .ws.agile.1Password.settings should be located

in the root directory of your Dropbox. The only purpose of this file is to point to the location

of your 1P data file which can be placed anywhere inside of your Dropbox.

This file is necessary for 1P for Android and 1P for Mac/PC too to get your data file.

Regards,

Gene

[quote name='wrylopez' timestamp='1282629858' post='9655']

Is there a way to move the hidden .ws.agile.1Password.settings to a subdirectory? It currently resides in the root of my ipad.

Thanks!

[/quote]
  • Thanks Gene. I appreciate the response.

[quote name='GeneY' timestamp='1282673057' post='9726']

Hi wrylopez,

By convention, this tiny system file .ws.agile.1Password.settings should be located

in the root directory of your Dropbox. The only purpose of this file is to point to the location

of your 1P data file which can be placed anywhere inside of your Dropbox.

This file is necessary for 1P for Android and 1P for Mac/PC too to get your data file.

Regards,

Gene

[/quote]
  • How do you create the .ws.agile.... hidden file, Mine is not being auto created.

Thanks,

Adam
  • Skywalker,

My .ws.agile.... file was created automatically via this method (Mac OS X):

From the application preferences, select the GENERAL tab, then choose MOVE. Select the destination in your dropbox.

Addendum:

My .ws.agile.... file is not seen using Finder, however, it is seen when logging into Dropbox via the Web and when using the iPad Dropbox app. It can also be seen using various programs to show hidden files. Good luck.
  • Tried that, still not creating the file. I checked for the hidden file using path finder. It's still not being created. What am I missing. Is there a manual way to create the file?
  • Can't help you on the manual process. Perhaps someone from Agile can help you. Good luck.

tom
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    Hello Skywalker,

In order to get more information on how to setup Dropbox on your computer and locate .ws.agile.1Password.setting,

I recommend you to describe your issue in detail and post it on our forum's 1P for Mac/PC (depending what you use)

section.

Our team of dedicated professionals will be glad to help you.

I can only say that 1P for Android reads this file in order to find a location of your 1P data file inside your Dropbox.

However,if .setting file is not found, it also looks for the data file in the root directory of your Dropbox.

Therefore, if you place your 1Password.agilekeychain folder in the root, it will be found and read properly even without the settings file.

Best Regards,

Gene

[quote name='wrylopez' timestamp='1282757144' post='9833']

Can't help you on the manual process. Perhaps someone from Agile can help you. Good luck.

tom

[/quote]
  • mntbighker
    mntbighker Junior Member
    [quote name='GeneY' timestamp='1282314358' post='9283']

[/quote]

FWIW, I had to use 1Pass to "move" my keychain from Application Support to my Dropbox folder to get it to generate the settings file. Prior to that it was nowhere to be found. I guess this behavior makes sense. When I did the initial Dropbox setup with the Android 1Pass app I found a copy of the 1Pass keychain appeared in my Dropbox folder somehow? But it appears moving it was necessary to get things to stay synced. I presume my other Dropbox connected computers now need to be pointed to the new keychain location in prefs. Some if this process has been a bit murky and definitely NOT for the non-tech crowd. I use LastPass these days for the bulk of my web passwords because it has been expanding into parts of my universe 1Pass has missed or lagged on. I am happy to have some things in Android that I don't use LastPass for though... like credit card info.

--cheers
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    edited October 2010
    Hi mntbighker,

Thank you for the information,

Of course, in order to sync 1P4A with Dropbox, your keychain data file should be placed somewhere under your Dropbox folder in which case .ws.agile.1Password.setting file be generated and 1P for Android will locate it

and move your data files to your phone's SD card and keep them synced with your computer. Keeping your keychain inside of your Dropbox is supported by all Agile applications and process is well integrated between different products on all platforms and works pretty seamlessly without much user intervention (of course, assuming you have valid Dropbox credentials and 1P Master Password).

Best Regards,

Gene

[quote name='mntbighker' timestamp='1287018611' post='13181']

FWIW, I had to use 1Pass to "move" my keychain from Application Support to my Dropbox folder to get it to generate the settings file. Prior to that it was nowhere to be found. I guess this behavior makes sense. When I did the initial Dropbox setup with the Android 1Pass app I found a copy of the 1Pass keychain appeared in my Dropbox folder somehow? But it appears moving it was necessary to get things to stay synced. I presume my other Dropbox connected computers now need to be pointed to the new keychain location in prefs. Some if this process has been a bit murky and definitely NOT for the non-tech crowd. I use LastPass these days for the bulk of my web passwords because it has been expanding into parts of my universe 1Pass has missed or lagged on. I am happy to have some things in Android that I don't use LastPass for though... like credit card info.

--cheers

[/quote]