This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Syncing and Networking 3+ computers?

clank72
edited August 2010 in Mac
I have been a long time 1P user but have never used it over a network.

I have 3 computers and want them to pull passcodes from only ONE data file. This file can be stored on one of the 3 computers. This way I only have to backup 1 file.

Is there something more I need to do other then direct all the computers to the one password file in preferences?

All 3 computers are over Wi-fI.

Thanks!

Comments

• Gilles9
    Gilles9 Senior Member
    [quote name='clank72' timestamp='1282672154' post='9723']

I have 3 computers and want them to pull passcodes from only ONE data file. This file can be stored on one of the 3 computers. This way I only have to backup 1 file.

Is there something more I need to do other then direct all the computers to the one password file in preferences?

Thanks!

[/quote]

Have you look at DropBox ?

My 1P data file is on DropBox and all my computers are using the same data file

If this may help
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian Senior Member
    [quote name='Gilles9' timestamp='1282672968' post='9725']

Have you look at DropBox ?

My 1P data file is on DropBox and all my computers are using the same data file

If this may help

[/quote]

Dropbox is definitely the way to go. Search the forum a bit for instructions; works like a charm for me -- two computers and an iPod Touch.
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg Agile Customer Care
    Indeed, syncing through the cloud via Dropbox is indeed what we recommend.

Here is a link to our guide for setting this up on your Macs

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/configure_dropbox_on_mac.html

Even if all three of your Macs are on the same local network, syncing via Dropbox is the most straightforward way to do this.

Working in Customer Support, I love hearing back from people once they have Dropbox syncing set up. They are uniformly enthusiastic about it.

Let us know if you need any help setting this up.
  • Carl
    Carl Just Me
    [quote name='clank72' timestamp='1282672154' post='9723']

Thanks!

[/quote]

In addition to the already suggested Dropbox method (which syncs to the cloud), you could create a shared folder on one Mac and then give permission to the other Macs to access it. Then you could move the keychain to that folder on the 1st Mac, and have the other Macs look for their 1P keychain in that shared folder. Basically, LAN sharing.
  • clank72
    edited August 2010
    opps.
  • [quote name='jpgoldberg' timestamp='1282682352' post='9740']

Indeed, syncing through the cloud via Dropbox is indeed what we recommend.

Here is a link to our guide for setting this up on your Macs

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/configure_dropbox_on_mac.html

Even if all three of your Macs are on the same local network, syncing via Dropbox is the most straightforward way to do this.

Working in Customer Support, I love hearing back from people once they have Dropbox syncing set up. They are uniformly enthusiastic about it.

Let us know if you need any help setting this up.

[/quote]

I followed the video like it says (little outdated btw) and everything went well up until I entered my password, 1P tells me it's unable to find a key file. Without this it will not unlock. My other computer syncs to the same DropBox folder.
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9 Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    [quote name='clank72' timestamp='1282755964' post='9831']

I followed the video like it says (little outdated btw) and everything went well up until I entered my password, 1P tells me it's unable to find a key file. Without this it will not unlock. My other computer syncs to the same DropBox folder.

[/quote]

In 1Password prefrences, under general, have you selected the data file that is in Dropbox

You should have a dropbox folder on that second computer as well, do you ?

If this helps
  • Thank you, got it to work!
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg Agile Customer Care
    [quote name='clank72' timestamp='1282773208' post='9854']

Thank you, got it to work!

[/quote]

I'm glad to hear everything is working. And thanks to our forum community for helping out.

Cheers,

-j