This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Future request: Rotating icon during backup

Locker
Locker
edited December 1969 in Knox
Just a thought:

Have some indication on the suitcase icon of Knox, rotating something... while Knox is performing a backup (e.g. automatic backup), like the MobilMe sync, or the Time Machine.

Comments

• MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the suggestion. It might help to know what exactly is the issue that leads you to want to know if a backup is underway? Do you need to know that *something* is backing up, or do you need to also know *what* is backing up (or to where)?
  • fmcypriano
    fmcypriano Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    +1 for this feature.

For me just know that something is backing up is good. Because I can see what just clicking on the icon, it appears as a disabled menu item.
  • Locker
    Locker
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MartyS']... want to know if a backup is underway? Do you need to know that *something* is backing up, or do you need to also know *what* is backing up (or to where)?[/QUOTE]Probably something like MobileMe Sync or Time Machine, that have a graphical indication without clicking on it. It you click on it, it would be nice to see which backup takes place, ie: which vault. When no backup is going on, it should show something like "Last backup : Today at hh:mm".

Then, somewhere you should be able to see a list of all the vaults and the last backup date. It can either be in the Preferences:Backup, or even in the Menubar, listed to the right of each listed vault. It it takes too wide space, it can be shown only if you also press the option key.
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for your ideas! No promises, but it does help to know what's important to you.
  • leoofborg
    leoofborg Junior Member
    edited May 2010
    Hi Guys.. Yes, I use Knox too, and have for quite some time.

Knox does have a notifier like this, what the icon in 1.x does (I'm still waiting for a license) is flicker between grey and light grey. The problem is, that the contrast isn't quite enough to be obvious.

I asked the Knox guys to add darker grey lines like 'ribs' to the aluminum case that would flicker or blink during a backup. This might be a bit better than 'spinning'..

Reason: It's always nice to give feedback to the user during a disk operation. Especially if it's an encryption operation in OSX (Vilefault sparseimages, anyone?).

Also: Knox 1.x has Growl integration.. see the screenshot for what you can have 'appear' via Growl. Hopefully 2.0 retains this.

-Leo
  • thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited December 1969
    In re to the license see my post here

[url]http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?23710-Existing-License-Holders&p=118232#post118232[/url]
  • leoofborg
    leoofborg Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    As a postscript, I now have my Knox2 license.. thanks, guys!

Here's a thought: The two operations that I may want to see (to know if there's a write/copy operation going) are 'backing up' and 'compression', right?

Simple. Put a blinky little 'B' or 'C' on the menubar suitcase. If the user wants MORE info then they can just click on the menuitem and see the status thereof like 'Making backup of Vault 'X' or 'Compressing Vault 'X'' as what is done now.

And yes, in either case I still have the flickering grey suitcase.. I'd just like just a little 'that much more' context with a B or a C. But that's just me.

Thanks for reading...

-Leo
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the updates about how Knox 1.x "notifies" you and how you might like to see it improved. AFAIK we're not intending to take anything away from the Knox 1.x feature set so Growl should stay. Perhaps we could add two new Growl notifications: "Backup starting" and "Compaction starting". This isn't a promise, just an idea.