This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

How to Change Keychain Password

adammerims
adammerims Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard and then 1Password 3.

Things work fine, but the Master Password I chose to use is very long and it often takes me three tries to get it right.

So, I changed MP to something shorter and easier. Opening and closing 1Password works great, but somehow the Keychain Password has not changed. I still have to use enter my laborious old Key Chain password.

How can I modify so that my new Master Password is also used as KeyChain password?

How can I modify the keychain password?

Thanks.

adam

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, Adam. 1Password's master password is not related to your login keychain at all. Normally the login keychain is unlocked when you log into your OS X user account. However, if you have set a different password for it, you can change it using OS X's Keychain Access utility: run Keychain Access, select your login keychain, and click Edit > Change Password for Keychain "login".
  • adammerims
    adammerims Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Is there a negative to setting both the keychain password and the 1Password master password to be identical?
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='adammerims']Is there a negative to setting both the keychain password and the 1Password master password to be identical?[/QUOTE]

The primary things to consider are how may "layers" do you need, and what information will be protected by those layers. Your OS X keychain is used by many applications to store passwords (and other information) to various items: such as an email account for Mail. If someone were to have physical possession of your computer, how hard would you want it to be for that person to get to that data?

By having different passwords to each "repository" (OS X keychain, 1Password data file, etc.) you increase the difficulties for someone to gain access to the information in each one. The use of a difficult password also is key. If your interest is in English teddy bears, a password of "Paddy" or "Paddington" would be bad choices for example.

So to answer your question: the negative would be that if someone determines your password to one repository they could have access to all repositories.
  • adammerims
    adammerims Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks.

Just want to clarify my original question.

On my machine, I seem to have three passwords now:

OS X which I use to log in or out of my account.

1Password Master Password which opens or locks my 1Pass

1Password Key Chain password

I used to have my 1P Master Pass and my 1Pass Key Chain the same but very complex.

I changed my 1Pass Master to be easier to type and remember.

Nonetheless I still constantly have to type in my 1pass Key chain because multiple programs request it.

1) Can I reset this 1Pass Key Chain password so that it is the same as my Master Pass or

2) Can I reset it to something that is different than my Master Pass but still simplify it.

I assume my OS X Keychain password is the same as my log in?
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Adam, you should only have two passwords: your OS X user account password, which (by default) unlocks your login.keychain, and your 1Password master password, which unlocks 1Password. That you have a separate 1Password "keychain" password indicates a couple of things:

1. You may still have the old 1Password keychain in your Library/Keychains folder and displayed in OS X's Keychain Access utility. This is left over from 1Password 2. We don't automatically delete data on your computer, ever, so when you upgraded your data file to the new format, your old keychain remained where it was. Your 1Password data file is now called 1Password.agilekeychain and resides, by default, in your 1Password folder:

Your_Name > Library > Application Support > 1Password

2. Applications don't normally ask for the 1Password keychain password. This is because 1Password doesn't interact with applications that store their passwords in the keychain. This only happens in one situation, of which I'm aware: at some point, for some length of time, your old 1Password 2 keychain (1Password.keychain) was set as the default, instead of your login.keychain. During this time, any application that normally would have stored its password in your login keychain (such as Mail.app for e-mail accounts or an FTP application to log onto FTP servers), instead stored the password in your 1Password keychain, since it was the default at that time.

To resolve this, the first thing to do is make sure that your login keychain is the default: run Keychain Access, select your login keychain, and click File > Make Keychain "login" Default.

Next, select the old 1Password keychain in Keychain Access. Your 1Password data are not readable in Keychain Access, so you shouldn't see much of interest. However, you may see some passwords added by other applications. If you do, you can select these items and drag them to your login keychain.

That should get things sorted out for you. Please let us know if you get stuck or have any other questions.
  • adammerims
    adammerims Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    This did the trick.

I had 1password2 passwords in keychain.

I deleted from Keychain Access and now no problems.

Thanks

adam
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='adammerims']This did the trick.

I had 1password2 passwords in keychain.

I deleted from Keychain Access and now no problems.

Thanks

adam[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the update! I'm glad everything is back in order now.