This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Dropbox Sync: 3G Data Usage?

BudJens
BudJens Junior Member
[size="4"]Hello. Does using Dropbox to automatically sync data on my iPhone use some of the 2GB of data transfer AT&T allows per month? Thanx.[/size]

Comments

• thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    Uh yep

its data out and in. I dont know about specifics but if you do the inital sync via wifi any small changes you pull down from the cloud shouldnt consist of that much data useage. It would be uber small at least thats my rendition. There are no images or attachments getting synced so basically it would be like downloading a really miniscule text file for each of the changes etc.

Someone may correct me on this.
  • [quote name='thightower' timestamp='1283464616' post='10388']

Uh yep

its data out and in. I dont know about specifics but if you do the inital sync via wifi any small changes you pull down from the cloud shouldnt consist of that much data useage. It would be uber small at least thats my rendition. There are no images or attachments getting synced so basically it would be like downloading a really miniscule text file for each of the changes etc.

Someone may correct me on this.

[/quote]

You've hit the nail on the head Tommy,

Because we don't sync the attachments, website icons or website previews for login items the sync process should be very quick and not very data intensive at all. Remember, you're not syncing your entire data file on each sync, just the changes, and Dropbox handles this incredibly well.

While I have an unlimited data plan on my T-Mobile UK contract, I rarely find myself using more than 500mb a month, and that's not just 1Password data, so I would imagine you shouldn't run into any problems.
  • BudJens
    BudJens Junior Member
    Thanks to both o you, Tommy and Stu!