This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Bug in 1Password 3.3.1?

Zampano
Zampano Junior Member
<div class="IPBDescription">Problem unlocking 1Password</div>This is a problem I've been having with 1Password 3.x for a while. I have just not gotten around to reporting it. The problem doesn't happen every time I use 1Password, but often enough to be annoying. I keep 1Password open and in the dock for easy access.

Suppose I unlock 1Password using the 1P menu in Safari. A short while later, I right click on the 1Password icon in the dock to visit a site. It shows that 1Password is locked and wants me to unlock it, unaware that I've just done that. I'm fairly sure this happens the other way around too. If I first unlock 1Password by right clicking on its icon in the dock and select Unlock 1Password, and then try to visit a site using the 1P menu in Safari, it thinks 1Password is still locked.

I'm using 1Password 3.3.1 and Mac OS X 10.6.4.

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    [quote name='Zampano' timestamp='1283695643' post='10572']

This is a problem I've been having with 1Password 3.x for a while. I have just not gotten around to reporting it. The problem doesn't happen every time I use 1Password, but often enough to be annoying. I keep 1Password open and in the dock for easy access.

Suppose I unlock 1Password using the 1P menu in Safari. A short while later, I right click on the 1Password icon in the dock to visit a site. It shows that 1Password is locked and wants me to unlock it, unaware that I've just done that. I'm fairly sure this happens the other way around too. If I first unlock 1Password by right clicking on its icon in the dock and select Unlock 1Password, and then try to visit a site using the 1P menu in Safari, it thinks 1Password is still locked.

I'm using 1Password 3.3.1 and Mac OS X 10.6.4.

[/quote]

Hi Zampano,

Unless I misunderstood you, that looks like the it's doing the right thing and not a bug if you disable the "unlock for all applications" in 1Password's Security settings. If you want to be able to unlock just once for all applications, you need to enable this in the Security settings by unchecking both of the "Disable automatic unlock for...".

To get to the Security Settings, open 1Password > Preferences > Security.

[img]http://cdn.agile.ws/mike/helpdesk/Enable_unlock_for_all.png[/img]

I hope that helps, please let me know.
  • Zampano
    Zampano Junior Member
    [quote name='MikeT' timestamp='1283706837' post='10584']

Hi Zampano,

Unless I misunderstood you, that looks like the it's doing the right thing and not a bug if you disable the "unlock for all applications" in 1Password's Security settings. If you want to be able to unlock just once for all applications, you need to enable this in the Security settings by unchecking both of the "Disable automatic unlock for...".

To get to the Security Settings, open 1Password > Preferences > Security.

[img]http://cdn.agile.ws/mike/helpdesk/Enable_unlock_for_all.png[/img]

I hope that helps, please let me know.

[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have to admit I never noticed this option. I just unchecked the box as you suggested. I'll let you know if this fixes my problem.

From a UI standpoint, it seems that having options that are expressed in the positive is a better way to go. In fact, I think this is in Apple's HIG somewhere. The option would read better as "Enable automatic unlock for 1Password" and it would default to being unchecked. A similar suggestion would apply to the next two options.

When the "Disable automatic unlock for all applications" is checked, selecting Unlock 1Password from the 1P menu unlocks it for just Safari, correct? Wouldn't it be better if the menu entry read Unlock 1Password for Safari? If this option is checked and I select Unlock 1Password from the dock, does it get unlocked for all applications anyway? This is confusing!