This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Mail in Knox Vault + Spotlight Search

Hi,

I want to keep my Mail directory in an encrypted sparsebundle but have it available in Spotlight search results when mounted. I first tried this by manually creating sparsebundles with Disk Utility, moving my Mail directory there, and then symlinking it back to ~/Library/Mail. There are lots of guides on the net on how to do this and it worked fine (my Mail, that is). However, the mail messages were not coming up in Spotlight searches.

So, I then manually forced Spotlight to index the Mail directory on the sparsebundle, first by doing the whole "add directory to Spotlight privacy list and then removing it" trick and then also by manually doing "sudo mdutil -i on /Volumes/mysparsebundle". This made some messages appear but not others.

I then decided to buy Knox since it states that it supports Spotlight searches in Knox vaults. I created a Knox vault, moved my Mail directory there, redid the symlink, and checked the box in Knox preferences to have Spotlight search in the Vault.

No luck. No search results in Spotlight or in the search box in the Apple Mail client.

How can I get Spotlight (and Apple Mail) to search a Mail folder in a Knox vault?

Thanks.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited September 2010
    You said you placed a check mark in the box, was the vault showing up in the window above that checkmark ? If not simply drag the vault from the finder view into the window from finder.

Or was the checkmark you reference to just the newly created vaults.

Other than this I don't have my vaults enabled for spotlight so I cant be of help. Maybe one of the others will be along and can shed some more light on the subject.
  • cng
    cng
    edited September 2010
    Yes, the vault itself is checked in Knox > Preferences > Spotlight.
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    [quote name='cng' timestamp='1283739619' post='10598']

Yes, the vault itself is checked in Knox > Preferences > Spotlight.

[/quote]

I checked and spotlight works fine with my symlinked Mail that's in the Knox vault. Are you running Knox 2.0.5 now?