This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Wish: Submit menu in "Save Login in 1Password" dialog

Ward
Ward Junior Member
edited September 2010 in Mac
<div class="IPBDescription">Simplify saving form fields vs. saving login details</div>90% of my new 1Password entries result from 1Password detecting login to a site and offering to save my details. I customize and click Save most of the time. Done, with minimum keystrokes.

The other 10% of my entries come from choosing "Save Login..." from the 1Password menu. In almost every case, I'm saving the same-every-time fields on a site's comment/feedback form so I can reenter those fields with a keyboard shortcut the next time I fill out the form. Since I'll be filling in unique fields on these subsequent visits, I never want to auto-submit these saved "logins." Disabling auto-submit is easy enough, but a bit tedious, especially as I do it more and more often.

[Note: I've edited this post thanks to Mike T's suggestion to use Edit login from the 1Password menu.]

The short way:

[list=1]

[*]Fill in the same-every-time fields.

[*]Choose "Save Login..." from the 1Password menu.

[*]Fill in the "Save Login in 1Password" dialog & click Save.

[*]Hold the Shift key and choose "Edit" from the 1Password menu.

[*]Change the Submit choice to "Never."

[*]Click the "Save Changes" button again to commit the change.

[/list]

The long way:

[list=1]

[*]Fill in the same-every-time fields.

[*]Choose "Save Login..." from the 1Password menu.

[*]Fill in the "Save Login in 1Password" dialog & click Save.

[*]Choose "Launch 1 Password" from the 1Password menu.

[*]Wait a moment for 1Password to launch.

[*]Locate the newly saved entry. Most of the time, 1Password defaults to this new entry.

[*]Click the "Edit" button to customize the entry.

[*]Change the Submit choice to "Never."

[*]Click the "Edit" button again to commit the change.

[*]Quit or Hide 1Password.

[/list]

Either process would be simpler if the "Save Login in 1Password" dialog provided a Submit menu so I could select "Never" auto-submit. I'd be done at step 3.

-- Ward

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    Hi Ward,

You can shorten the steps down by pressing the Shift button to edit the Login within the browser. After the auto-save prompt, while holding the shift button, you can right click or press the 1Password's toolbar button on the same site to get the "Edit Login". This will bring up the edit window from 1Password within the browser and lets you edit the submit value. This should knock off several steps.
  • Ward
    Ward Junior Member
    Thanks, Mike, for pointing out the Shift modifier for the 1Password menu -- "Fill & Submit" becomes "Edit." Very nice! I revised my original port to show this knocks 4 steps off doing it the long way.

I took a leap and tried an Option modifier -- "Fill & Submit" becomes just "Fill." Also nice!

Emphasizing the changes with font size and color is very elegant.

-- Ward