This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

change default login for a saved account

When I have multiple logins saved for a website, how can I change one which is the default? For instance, for one website I have my company's credentials and my own stored, and when I hit cmd-\ to auto-fill and log-in, it chooses my company's credentials. If I right-click on the page instead, I have to navigate to "other logins" to select to have my personal account filled in.

Here's a screenshot:

http://cl.ly/ce6c206aef5a3cbe78f9

How can I change which one appears first in the list and which ones show up in "other logins" so that I can continue to cmd-\ my way in on my preferred account?

thanks,

Cory

Comments

• [quote name='bantic' timestamp='1284129686' post='10816']

When I have multiple logins saved for a website, how can I change one which is the default? For instance, for one website I have my company's credentials and my own stored, and when I hit cmd-\ to auto-fill and log-in, it chooses my company's credentials. If I right-click on the page instead, I have to navigate to "other logins" to select to have my personal account filled in.

Here's a screenshot:

http://cl.ly/ce6c206aef5a3cbe78f9

How can I change which one appears first in the list and which ones show up in "other logins" so that I can continue to cmd-\ my way in on my preferred account?

thanks,

Cory

[/quote]

Hi Cory,

Right now, there isn't a specific way to indicate which login should be the default for a domain. (We are considering this for a future release, however, since it is one of our most requested improvements.) You do have a couple of options though.

One option is to take advantage of 1Password's precise URL matching algorithm though to point 1Password to the "default" login.

1) Locate the login page for the site.

2) Copy the entire URL

3) Set the Location of the "default" login to that URL

4) Set the Location of the other logins to be some other subdomain of the site like "login.domain.com" (The value is not important as 1Password will ferret out the main domain name.)

When you land on the login page, 1Password will recognize that the "default" login matches better than the others and use that one. This doesn't currently work with some sites, most notably Google login pages, but it should work in the majority of cases. The "non-default" logins will then be available in the "Other Logins" section of the 1Password toolbar button in your browser.

The other option that you have is to not display infrequently used logins in the browser. You can set the Display attribute for a login to "Never" to have it not show in the browser and thus not be part of the pool of logins that 1Password uses when searching for a login to use. This can be very helpful if you have accounts that you are responsible for managing or helping with but do not need on a regular basis such as email accounts for family members or administrative accounts for clients. If you go this route, you can still use Go & Fill for the login from the main 1Password application to have 1Password fill the login.

Hope that helps some,
  • leicaman
    leicaman Junior Member
    edited September 2010
    [quote name='stu' timestamp='1284309373' post='10939']

Hi Cory,

Right now, there isn't a specific way to indicate which login should be the default for a domain. (We are considering this for a future release, however, since it is one of our most requested improvements.) You do have a couple of options though.

One option is to take advantage of 1Password's precise URL matching algorithm though to point 1Password to the "default" login.

2) Copy the entire URL

4) Set the Location of the other logins to be some other subdomain of the site like "login.domain.com" (The value is not important as 1Password will ferret out the main domain name.)

When you land on the login page, 1Password will recognize that the "default" login matches better than the others and use that one. This doesn't currently work with some sites, most notably Google login pages, but it should work in the majority of cases. The "non-default" logins will then be available in the "Other Logins" section of the 1Password toolbar button in your browser.

The other option that you have is to not display infrequently used logins in the browser. You can set the Display attribute for a login to "Never" to have it not show in the browser and thus not be part of the pool of logins that 1Password uses when searching for a login to use. This can be very helpful if you have accounts that you are responsible for managing or helping with but do not need on a regular basis such as email accounts for family members or administrative accounts for clients. If you go this route, you can still use Go & Fill for the login from the main 1Password application to have 1Password fill the login.

Hope that helps some,

[/quote]

I want to add a vote for getting the subdomain thing working ASAP. But...

What would be really cool would be for you to add Applescript capability to 1Password so that we can send 1Password the proper username and password login for a specific page. For example, our Peoplesoft login for my reporting my hours worked is the exact same page used for logging in as a student (I get free classes since I work here). So the URL is identical, but I would like to log in as an employee once a day to log in my hours, but log into our connection to Blackboard so I can take classes, too. An Applescript could be used to tell it to use one specific login for hours and another for my classes.

Also speaking of Peoplesoft, that abomination moves things around on a page from day to do so that I can't use QuicKeys to tell it to click the mouse at a specific set of coordinates, because the field moves around depending on what's on the page that day. (Employee announcements, a new graphic, or the stupid thing just wants to be a pain in the keester.) I know, I'm being lazy, only logging in once a day to do my hours, why not do it manually? But wouldn't it be cool if you could tell 1Password to "fill in username in this field" and use the web page's name for the specific field. Or have it tell the web page to push a specific button, using the web page's name for the button pushed? It would require finding the web pages internal name for the field or button, but I'm sure that's doable.

I also want a flying car and a jetpack. (And don't tell me buy Halo Reach!)

But the point remains, Applescript capability would be a great addition.
  • [quote name='stu' timestamp='1284309373' post='10939']

Hi Cory,

2) Copy the entire URL

Hope that helps some,

[/quote]

Thanks! The subdomain hack worked great.