This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Imports and Questions (Type and Category)

hippy dippy one
edited September 2010 in Mac
<div class="IPBDescription">Some other password programs have two ways to categorize entries</div>I tried to import a CSV export from SplashID (v5.x) to move my entries into 1P with very poor results: [list]

[*]First, of the 618 entries it imported only 465. Perhaps this relates to the following errors.

[*]Second, of those it imported, the Category field (in Splash an example would be "Software Registration") was moved into a nested folder area under "Export All Records...", the name of the export file. It was further nested in a blank folder. See the attached screenshot.

[*]Third issue, some of the entries (aka, imported records) were enclosed in a folder called "Imported". In short the CSV file was scrambled. I had a look at the raw CSV, also with Excel and my guess is that blank entry fields triggered this situation in your import process somehow. No idea what to do about it but manual re-entry is out of the question. A screenshot of the folders that contain some categories is attached.

[*]In shorter terms, the import does not work for me.

[*]Is there a way to set up some additional categories that would be recognized on import as bins for the import to go?

[*]Some items were scrambled so that folders were created with passwords in them and inside of that was another folder with a partial entry in it. That data is significantly scrambled so that it might be easier simply to retype that entry altogether. The icon and style indicate that these are coming up as the 1P category called "Secure Notes".

[/list]

It seems that 1P has a limited number of predefined (hard coded) fields or what I might call sortable field definitions available to 'categrorize' entries. Those appear to fit inside a "Vault"- Logins, Accounts, Identities, Secure Notes, Software, and Wallet. All my data appearing in other than those predefined Category fields seem to have gone into some kind of nested purgatory during the import. It wouldn't have been so bad, except that the data fields also became scrambled. Attempting to import any entry with a definition other than one of those results in disaster in the case of importing from a predefined program which you have in your import dialog.

Am I missing something? Not good.

If there is someone who wanted to look at the structure of the files (which admittedly is differently labelled for different types of categories), not the data, I can export a dummy entry for each category and perhaps we can go from there. However, I think that the bottom line is that 1P is too structured for my needs. Thanks.

-hdo-

Comments

• MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    Hi, hdo,

Although covering a variety of different items, 1Password provides for very fixed templates of information. We are able to automatically detect and migrate the following SplashID item types into their matching 1Password VAULT categories and templates:

Web Logins --> Logins

Credit Cards --> Wallet : Credit Card

Bank Accts --> Wallet : Bank Account

Serial Numbers --> Software

Everything else will be imported to 1Password as a Secure Note. To "move" them to another VAULT category you will need to create the appropriate new item and use Copy / Paste between the Secure Note and the new item, and delete the Secure Note when done.

I know that this can be quite an undertaking if you have a large number of items that fall into this situation, but your data can be searched by the 1Password application during the transition and the data is secured.

We can only import those field values that we're certain actually fits within our templates. Customized fields are not included.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you.
  • [quote name='hippy dippy one' timestamp='1284296157' post='10924']

I tried to import a CSV export from SplashID (v5.x) to move my entries into 1P with very poor results:[/quote]

Yup, [url=http://forum.agile.ws/index.php?/topic/313-changing-an-entry-type/page__view__findpost__p__7828]can be painful[/url]. Thanks for the detailed summary of issues you've had, e.g. this one that I never reported after noticing it in v2:

[quote]It was further nested in a blank folder. See the attached screenshot. [/quote]