This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Sync to Dropbox cancellation upon screen orientation change

kae
kae Senior Member
I found the "Use Dropbox to syncronize [sic] data" feature today and thought I'd try it out.

I switched to "Use Dropbox to syncronize [sic] data" and entered my dropbox user name and password. While it was starting to synchronize I ended up moving and the phone switched screen orientations (from portrait to landscape). When this happened I got a message saying that synchronization was being cancelled. The text fields on the screen where the login and password were as well as the "OK" button that had changed to "downloading..." went away. The only thing on the screen is The 1P icon and the text "1Password for Android Setup" and two radio buttons 1) Use data file on SD card and 2) Use Dropbox to syncronize [sic] data. The rest of the screen is blank/black.

The weird thing is that I keep getting notifications "Got Files: {large block of hex}" messages on the screen as if the synchronization was still happening. At this point I can't do much of anything else. If I hit the "return button <-" then the app exits. I can get a menu where I can go back into preferences, but even out of the app, the app appears to continue to synchronize or at least I continue to get the "Got Files: {large block of hex}" notification messages on the screen.

I'm hoping that it's just still working on the sync, but this behavior might be confusing to the user.

Just thought I'd tell someone, in case this is not correct behavior.

Thanks!

-Alan

P.S. If anyone knows of a way to capture the screen on the Android (I have an HTC Eris running 2.1), please tell me. I miss that ability from the iPhone.

Comments

• kae
    kae Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    I just sent a sync failure log to the android email address. that could probably be linked to this thread.

I had gotten out of 1P (I assume it was still synchronizing because I was still getting notifications). I then tried to go back in after a while and right after I entered my password, I got a "Your application has stopped" dialog box. The Sync failure came right after that.
  • Hi Kae,

I thank you for reporting the issue.

I am aware that changing device orientation may cause an application crash on some devices.

That is a known Android OS bug, hope it will be resolved in the next versions.

The issue is that there is a very intense screen redisplay going on during the mode change and sometimes

device doesn't have enough resources to complete it (especially when such an intense process as Dropbox Syncing

is running in the background)

1P for Android before release 1.6 was restricted to portrait mode only and landscape mode was disallowed.

Ver 1.6 mode introduced a landscape mode,it was tested and works well on my Nexus 1 device under all circumstances.

However, I cannot exclude that other devices may experience the problem once in a while.

So far, nobody else reported the issue, I will be keeping an eye on it.

By the way, Dropbox messages are coming with a certain delay and the sync process is asynchronous, therefore, it will

proceed even after the crash.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Best Regards,

Gene

Android Developer

[quote name='kae' timestamp='1284403324' post='11067']

I just sent a sync failure log to the android email address. that could probably be linked to this thread.

I had gotten out of 1P (I assume it was still synchronizing because I was still getting notifications). I then tried to go back in after a while and right after I entered my password, I got a "Your application has stopped" dialog box. The Sync failure came right after that.

[/quote]
  • FYI this is still broken. Can you elaborate on the "Android bug" reference? Is this is a Google issue?

Also the "sync" does not "continue" after the orientation change. The buttons change from "Synchronizing" back to "Synchronize" and nothing new appears in the logs.

Coupled with the fact that the android app forgets all setttings and reverts to the setup screen almost once every month, this is becoming a painful app to use.
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    Hi Harry Warrior,

Just wanted to let you know that the whole Sync part is totally redesigned and re-written in the new release of 1Password Reader ver 1.8.2.5 which will be

available on Market in the next few days.

1Password Reader is made compartible with the recently released Dropbox authentication scheme.

All your feedback is taken into consideration.

Please stay tuned for the updates !

Regards,

Gene