This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

1PasswordAnywhere on iPad/iPhone or not?

<div class="IPBDescription">Need clarification</div>I can't seem to find a definitive answer - can 1PasswordAnywhere be made to work on an iPad/iPhone? I'm using the Dropbox sync for the keychain, but get the "key file missing" message when I open the HTML file on my iPhone or iPad. This seems to say that it's just not going to work, but I see lots of discussion and "try this" solutions. I can't find anything addressing it in the Help.

Can Agile Support please clarify one way or the other?

Thanks!

Comments

• macpug
    macpug Agile Customer Care
    edited September 2010
    [quote name='hoellein' timestamp='1284606098' post='11267']

I can't seem to find a definitive answer - can 1PasswordAnywhere be made to work on an iPad/iPhone? I'm using the Dropbox sync for the keychain, but get the "key file missing" message when I open the HTML file on my iPhone or iPad. This seems to say that it's just not going to work, but I see lots of discussion and "try this" solutions. I can't find anything addressing it in the Help.

Can Agile Support please clarify one way or the other?

Thanks!

[/quote]

Hi Hoellein, welcome to the Forums! I've already answered your support email, but I'll still answer here, since we've gotten the question a few times recently.

Your results will be better and more consistent by using the 1Password touch apps made specifically for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Folks are trying to use 1PasswordAnywhere (1PA) from the mobile Dropbox app, and it's not meant to be used that way. This is because even though the Dropbox mobile app displays the HTML pages, 1PA expects to have access to all of the data, but the mobile Dropbox app only downloads pieces of the data selectively (thus the "key file missing" error message). Also, the mobile Dropbox client does not work just like the desktop version. That is a common misconception. In order to have things synced with mobile Dropbox, files have to be manually downloaded and updated...they don't "just sync".

You should be able to login to your Dropbox account on their web site using Mobile Safari and use 1PasswordAnywhere from there. However, accessing 1PasswordAnywhere directly from your Dropbox web site login from other mobile browsers is likely to not work, as mobile apps tend to not have as many enabled features as desktop browsers do.

You can also use 1PA from a USB flash drive, with MobileMe, or with Windows (using Firefox or Safari browsers). We have more information about 1PA in our 1Password User Guide if anyone wants to see how to set up up and use it. [url="http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html"]1PasswordAnywhere Information[/url]

I hope that helps clear things up.
  • [quote name='macpug' timestamp='1284633761' post='11279']

Hi Hoellein, welcome to the Forums! I've already answered your support email, but I'll still answer here, since we've gotten the question a few times recently.

Your results will be better and more consistent by using the 1Password touch apps made specifically for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Folks are trying to use 1PasswordAnywhere (1PA) from the mobile Dropbox app, and it's not meant to be used that way. This is because even though the Dropbox mobile app displays the HTML pages, 1PA expects to have access to all of the data, but the mobile Dropbox app only downloads pieces of the data selectively (thus the "key file missing" error message). Also, the mobile Dropbox client does not work just like the desktop version. That is a common misconception. In order to have things synced with mobile Dropbox, files have to be manually downloaded and updated...they don't "just sync".

You should be able to login to your Dropbox account on their web site using Mobile Safari and use 1PasswordAnywhere from there. However, accessing 1PasswordAnywhere directly from your Dropbox web site login from other mobile browsers is likely to not work, as mobile apps tend to not have as many enabled features as desktop browsers do.

You can also use 1PA from a USB flash drive, with MobileMe, or with Windows (using Firefox or Safari browsers). We have more information about 1PA in our 1Password User Guide if anyone wants to see how to set up up and use it. [url="http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html"]1PasswordAnywhere Information[/url]

I hope that helps clear things up.

[/quote]

That's almost a clear statement on the question - the closest I've gotten so far. So I will interpret it as "1PasswordAnywhere does not work on on the iPad or iPhone". While that is not the answer I had hoped to get, at least it's an answer and I can stop trying to figure it out.

Thanks.
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    'Tis true.

1PasswordAnywhere does not currently work in iOS.