This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Suggestion link passwords across logins?

Granite Mac
Granite Mac Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
My corporation's network allows me to use my Windows password on multiple different websites, but in 1Password all of these websites show up as unique "password" files because the URLs are different.

when I change my Windows password (which I have to do frequently because of password requirements), I then have to go an update numerous different 1password password files. I'd love a way to link these files together so when I update my password once, all my 1passwords get updated too.

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    This is something we'd like to try to offer in the future in the form of aliases.
  • ganlron
    ganlron Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I would love to see aliases added too. We have a number of tools that have multiple aliases to access, it would be nice to be able to configure an authentication record to match multiple URI locations.
  • Ken Brucker
    Ken Brucker Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    +1 on this request for site aliase support. I have multiple entries for corporate accounts.
  • cbolton
    cbolton Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I would like this feature too: either aliases or (simpler) the ability to enter multiple URLs for a single password.
  • jen729w
    jen729w Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    A bump for this request - apologies if there are others, this is the thread I found with search.

I'd like aliases for things like my Apple login. It logs me in to developer.apple.com, iwork.com, me.com, etc.

Thanks! Love 1P, great product.
  • jgoodnoe
    jgoodnoe Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I could really use this for the many websites at work that all use the same corporate account.
  • Stocky
    Stocky Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi All,

I was really surprised to NOT see that feature in 1P 3.0.7 (bought it yesterday). If I enter my .mac account, iTunes account, .mac email account, Apple support forum account, MobileMe access, etc. and then have to change my .mac password at all of these places separately... not fine. Same to my company account, we've a central directory with single sign on and a change-every-4-weeks-your-password policy. I've dozen's of URLs then to change in 1P.

Please implement this ASAP. Thank you.
  • Stocky
    Stocky Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi All,

good news: I don't have to set up multiple logins with same password within my company. Since all internal websites have the same domain name it's ok to just enter one generic company (including the domain name) login with my company password. I just choose that generic login whenever I've to login to an internal site.
  • Chris Messina
    Chris Messina Member
    edited December 1969
    Essentially this sounds like a feature to detect federated login systems — which, by design, would potentially threaten the security of those systems in favor of convenience.

That said, it would be interesting to attempt to link or attach certain sites to certain master identities that reuse the same password across different federated sites. This is different than just reusing the same password across non-federated sites, though it results in a similar user experience.

Curiously, this is where OpenID would really make a difference and improve security — by forcing one's password to only be entered on ONE site — as opposed to many.
  • jelaryma
    jelaryma Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    +1 bump...

I agree that true federated single signon solutions (CAS, OpenSSO, OpenID, etc) would make a much more secure environment, from a user perspective we are forced to use the methods provided by our companies. I'd like to see the ability to tie regex or wildcard rules to an alias list within a single master password entry. Barring that, a method to do a mass search/replace of username/password combinations would be welcomed (ie, change all occurences of password ott1got2hot3uut5hry6 to bbby8ht1yr3vv6!1 might be the simplest solution / easiest to implement...
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    Thanks to everyone who wants to see this feature added. As Gita said, it's something we'd like to be able to offer in the future, but we can't promise a timescale yet.

jelaryma, I'll certainly mention the mass search replace functionality to the developers, again to see if it's something we could add in the future\
  • jcheshire
    jcheshire Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I would prefer a method allowing me to use regex or a simple wildcard to allow multiple URL's with the same login. In my corporate environment, all sites would be caught by [url]http://*.ourcompany.com[/url].
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    Hi, jcheshire

First of all, welcome to the forums, thanks for joining us!

That's a great idea, it would certainly help users who have the same username and password for multiple corporate logins across multiple subdomains. I'll pass this on to the developers, so we can consider this for the work on this feature.

As we've mentioned, we can't promise a timeframe right now, but it is certainly something we want to add to 1Password in the future.

Thanks for the feedback,
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='jcheshire']I would prefer a method allowing me to use regex or a simple wildcard to allow multiple URL's with the same login. In my corporate environment, all sites would be caught by [url]http://*.ourcompany.com[/url].[/QUOTE]

This should not be a problem since the top-level domain is the same. Domain aliasing is for telling 1Password that two completely different web sites are the same. If your login items are for the same top-level domain, 1Password will display them in your Fill Logins/Other Logins menus. If you use the same username and password across the various sites, saving one login for ourcompany.com should cause it to appear on all the sites within that domain, obviating the need for multiple login items.