This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Always display Login username?

<div class="IPBDescription">“Automatically include username in Login title” is only for new Logins</div>Is there a method available to always display the account username for existing Logins displayed for Fill & Submit in the browser?

The “Automatically include username in Login title” preference only enables this for new Logins created [i]after[/i] you enable it, in my experience. It doesn’t add the username for Logins that weren’t created with this setting active. It’s maddening to choose between the 15 “gmail.com” items listed for Fill & Submit.

Granted, I have too many Logins because of multiple accounts for some services (I agree with the other poster who has brought up work/home separation!), because some accounts were saved multiple times because of different domains used during login, and because I imported years of keychain data (where there were already duplicates and such) into 1Password. So this is a problem partially of my own creation. However, because I have to switch back and forth between the browser and 1Password application in order to fix this, and I have so many Logins to fix, the manual solution is daunting.

It would be so welcome for 1Password to just automatically display the username everywhere it shows the Login, so that I could more accurately choose which Login I’m picking. This would certainly help me make better decisions about which Logins work and which don’t work anymore, so I could get rid of duplicate entries.

Thanks!

Comments

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop Junior Member
    [quote name='Jaharmi' timestamp='1284648312' post='11292']

Is there a method available to always display the account username for existing Logins displayed for Fill & Submit in the browser?

The “Automatically include username in Login title” preference only enables this for new Logins created [i]after[/i] you enable it, in my experience. It doesn’t add the username for Logins that weren’t created with this setting active. It’s maddening to choose between the 15 “gmail.com” items listed for Fill & Submit.

Granted, I have too many Logins because of multiple accounts for some services (I agree with the other poster who has brought up work/home separation!), because some accounts were saved multiple times because of different domains used during login, and because I imported years of keychain data (where there were already duplicates and such) into 1Password. So this is a problem partially of my own creation. However, because I have to switch back and forth between the browser and 1Password application in order to fix this, and I have so many Logins to fix, the manual solution is daunting.

It would be so welcome for 1Password to just automatically display the username everywhere it shows the Login, so that I could more accurately choose which Login I’m picking. This would certainly help me make better decisions about which Logins work and which don’t work anymore, so I could get rid of duplicate entries.

Thanks!

[/quote]

Hello Jaharmi,

Welcome to the forums. I'll leave it to Agile to respond to your feature request. However I have some suggestions for workarounds for you.

Search on gmail within 1PW so that you can see all your gmail items in one screen. Show the date columns View > Columns > Rename any of the logins you wish to keep so that the name of the item includes the user name. Also delete ones that are no longer valid. From here on you have the option ticked so it will happen automatically. Don't worry if you delete the wrong one, it will still be in the trash until you empty it.

I hope that helps and apologies if I seem to be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs. Not intentional. Just trying to help.
  • [quote name='Penelope Pitstop' timestamp='1284649046' post='11294']

Hello Jaharmi,

Welcome to the forums. I'll leave it to Agile to respond to your feature request. However I have some suggestions for workarounds for you.

Search on gmail within 1PW so that you can see all your gmail items in one screen. Show the date columns View > Columns > Rename any of the logins you wish to keep so that the name of the item includes the user name. Also delete ones that are no longer valid. From here on you have the option ticked so it will happen automatically. Don't worry if you delete the wrong one, it will still be in the trash until you empty it.

I hope that helps and apologies if I seem to be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs. Not intentional. Just trying to help.

[/quote]

I appreciate the help. The problem with most of my duplicates is that they came in during keychain import. I think it will suffice it to say that I’ve been maintaing the same Mac OS X keychain for a long time.

Because the items were imported into 1Password, the vast majority of their creation and modification dates point back to the date they were imported.

Unfortunately, there is no separate column for the Username for a Login; I just checked out the commands available in View > Columns, which I hadn’t explored before.

Thanks!
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Jaharmi,

Sorry for the late reply.

Penelope Pitstop is correct. There is, unfortunately, not much 1Password can do in the way of automating the process (except, as you already noted, for new logins it creates). Because there is no way for 1Password to know what is a valid login and what needs to be updated or deleted. One of the benefits of using 1Password is that it allows you to keep your saved passwords much more organized. The OS X keychain does not do quite so much organizing. :-/

I recently imported my own OS X keychain just to make sure I had all the old passwords. I was trying to get by with a "fresh" set of data, but needed some of the old. It takes a bit of effort, but I think the results paid off. The search functionality is very useful, and so is View > Layout > Traditional. Since I had used the strong password generator for all my 1Password logins, I was able to quickly see the password strength bar and know which ones were the old ones. I also searched for my known old passwords to quickly update them via File > Go & Fill Login.

The ability to retroactively add usernames to logins is good suggestion. I will pass it along to the developers.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.