This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Android Sync Issues

I am currently using 1Password on the following devices:

Windows 7 Ultimate: beta release v1.0.0.122

iPhone: (not really using iPhone anymore, but still installed).

Android: v1.0 Beta #6.5

I had successfully used 1Password on Win7 and iPhone for a good month or two. I synced between the two using Dropbox.

Recently (within the last week), I purchased an Android phone, the Samsung Galaxy on T-Mobile. I have yet to successfully sync my 1Password on Android. Here's typical sync session notes as displayed on my android.

1Password for Android

Sync (OK): 10-01 22:27

Reload your application to see the updates.

-----

Using WIFI connnection

-----

Begin Sync at 22:24:53

-----

Authenticating by access token...

-----

Authentication success with status 1

-----

Found Dropbox Setting file .ws.

agile.1Password.settings

-----

Getting 1Password.agilekeychain file into

local dropbox from /1Password/Keychain/

<username>.agilekeychain

-----

encryptionKeys.js file is the same

-----

contents.js file is the same. check if some

files got changed since last sync

-----

Updating access keys...

-----

Sync completed with Success. Status: 1

-----

Finish sync at 22:24:56

So basically, the notes report that the sync found no new files nor changes, but that the sync was successful.

The problem is my Windows version shows 47 Logins, 43 Wallet items, 42 Software items, 4 Secure Notes and 1 Identity. Yet my Android version shows only 2 Logins. It shows zero items for accounts, identities, secure notes, software, wallet, password, and trash. And the android has been this way ever since my initial sync.

I have tried syncing multiple times over the last week. I have tried shutting down 1Password on my android, and then reloading it. I have changed, and added new items to my Windows version of 1Password since last syncing. I have NOT tried uninstalling and reinstalling my android version (yet).

Any thoughts on this problem?

Thanks

Roger

Comments

• GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    Hi Roger,

First of all , welcome to the forum and thank you for reporting the issue.

In order to reproduce the issue I installed the latest 1P for Windows release 1.0.0.122 on my PC and did a very thorough testing of it.

I did Dropbox syncing many times and confirm that all 76 items I created on PC were always successfully synced with my Nexus 1 phone.

In the same time, I acknowledge an issue with items which you sync from iPad/iPhone to 1P for Windows and only then to Android.

Notice that the next version of iOS is supposed to address the issue.

In its current version, 1P for Android does syncing items created on PC/Mac to Android Phone.

Syncing iPhone/iPad=>Android or iPhone/iPad=>PC/Mac=>Android is not currently supported by iOS devices (will be supported in the next version of iOS).

Please open a file contents.js located under <%YOUR_DATA_FILE_LOCATION_INSIDE_DROPBOX%>/1Password.agikekeychian/data/default on your PC

which has all items listed in the application.Android app relies heavily on this file: only what is written in it, will be shown on the phone.

Please refer to Please refer to http://forum.agile.ws/index.php?/topic/1893-getting-my-itouch-date-onto-my-droid/ for more information and workaround solution.

Best Regards,

Gene

Android Developer

[quote name='RNedel' timestamp='1285994926' post='12514']

I am currently using 1Password on the following devices:

Windows 7 Ultimate: beta release v1.0.0.122

iPhone: (not really using iPhone anymore, but still installed).

Android: v1.0 Beta #6.5

I had successfully used 1Password on Win7 and iPhone for a good month or two. I synced between the two using Dropbox.

Recently (within the last week), I purchased an Android phone, the Samsung Galaxy on T-Mobile. I have yet to successfully sync my 1Password on Android. Here's typical sync session notes as displayed on my android.

1Password for Android

Sync (OK): 10-01 22:27

Reload your application to see the updates.

-----

Using WIFI connnection

-----

Begin Sync at 22:24:53

-----

Authenticating by access token...

-----

Authentication success with status 1

-----

Found Dropbox Setting file .ws.

agile.1Password.settings

-----

Getting 1Password.agilekeychain file into

local dropbox from /1Password/Keychain/

<username>.agilekeychain

-----

encryptionKeys.js file is the same

-----

contents.js file is the same. check if some

files got changed since last sync

-----

Updating access keys...

-----

Sync completed with Success. Status: 1

-----

Finish sync at 22:24:56

So basically, the notes report that the sync found no new files nor changes, but that the sync was successful.

The problem is my Windows version shows 47 Logins, 43 Wallet items, 42 Software items, 4 Secure Notes and 1 Identity. Yet my Android version shows only 2 Logins. It shows zero items for accounts, identities, secure notes, software, wallet, password, and trash. And the android has been this way ever since my initial sync.

I have tried syncing multiple times over the last week. I have tried shutting down 1Password on my android, and then reloading it. I have changed, and added new items to my Windows version of 1Password since last syncing. I have NOT tried uninstalling and reinstalling my android version (yet).

Any thoughts on this problem?

Thanks

Roger

[/quote]
  • Gene,

Thank you for your response. So I believe I understand what you are saying...

1. iPhone version of 1Password does not update a file called:

1Password.agilekeychain\data\default\contents.js

2. Windows version of 1Pasword doesn't rely on contents.js (therefore, PC version will work okay regardless of the state of the file).

3. Android version of 1Password DOES rely on contents.js.

Trying to better understand and to solve the issue, I viewed "contents.js" in a text editor on my PC. I did in fact see that it contained only two entries. Further, those entries correspond to the two (and only two) entries that were visible on my Android.

I do not own a Mac. So I opened 1Password on my PC. I double-clicked individually on a couple of entries (two to be specific) as a sort of "proof-of-concept" test. I closed the resulting edit dialog by clicking the OK button. I then tried to open 1Password on my Android. It seemed to make matters worse. I was hoping to see two new entries appear on my Android. Instead, the two original entries on the Android decreased to only 1 entry. Hmmm.

At that point, I thought let's not just go half-assed about it. I opened each and every entry in my Win7 version of 1Password (138 entries), and then hit the enter key (default dialog button was OK) or I clicked the OK button to close each entry. My hope was that would force an update to each entry, thereby updating "contents.js" appropriately. If I'm not mistaken, that's what you suggested.

That didn't seem to work. I verified this by looking at the "contents.js" timestamp on my PC...it was unchanged. I then viewed "contents.js" in a text editor on my PC once again. It seemed unchanged. I forced a dropbox sync for 1Password on my Android. No luck. The program still showed only the one previously-present entry.

So I thought how might we force an update to the contents.js file. Looking through the 1Password menu items on my PC, I found the following menu item:

FILE > REPAIR KEYCHAIN

Why not give that a shot, thinks me? I selected that menu item and voilla, the timestamp for "contents.js" on my PC updated to the current time. I viewed the contents of the file "contents.js" on my PC, and it contained too many entries to count. Things are looking up!

Naturally, I looked at dropbox on my Android to see if the contents.js file showed as changed. It did (showed as being updated something like 1 minute ago). I then opened 1Password and forced a sync operation. It reported a change to "contents.js", but after all was said and done, no updates seemed to occur. I'm still stuck with only one entry in my Android version of 1Password. I'm fresh out of ideas. I think I tried the steps you suggested, plus I went beyond that in an attempt to force an update to contents.js.

After all that, I'm questioning whether or not "contents.js" is actually the culprit. Any more ideas? Thank you.

Roger Nedel

--------------------

[quote name='GeneY' timestamp='1286047488' post='12539']

Hi Roger,

First of all , welcome to the forum and thank you for reporting the issue.

In order to reproduce the issue I installed the latest 1P for Windows release 1.0.0.122 on my PC and did a very thorough testing of it.

I did Dropbox syncing many times and confirm that all 76 items I created on PC were always successfully synced with my Nexus 1 phone.

In the same time, I acknowledge an issue with items which you sync from iPad/iPhone to 1P for Windows and only then to Android.

Notice that the next version of iOS is supposed to address the issue.

In its current version, 1P for Android does syncing items created on PC/Mac to Android Phone.

Syncing iPhone/iPad=>Android or iPhone/iPad=>PC/Mac=>Android is not currently supported by iOS devices (will be supported in the next version of iOS).

Please open a file contents.js located under <%YOUR_DATA_FILE_LOCATION_INSIDE_DROPBOX%>/1Password.agikekeychian/data/default on your PC

which has all items listed in the application.Android app relies heavily on this file: only what is written in it, will be shown on the phone.

Please refer to Please refer to http://forum.agile.ws/index.php?/topic/1893-getting-my-itouch-date-onto-my-droid/ for more information and workaround solution.

Best Regards,

Gene

Android Developer

[/quote]
  • Gene,

Well it has been about a half hour since I posted my last reply, and about an hour or more since I used the

FILE > REPAIR KEYCHAIN

menu item. During that time, I decided to try powering down and the powering up my Android. After doing that, 1Password on the Android synced properly. I now seem to have all the entries showing!

Not sure if the solution was individually editing each entry (don't think so), choosing the repair keychain menu item (I suspect this was the fix), or simply rebooting my Android after doing one or both of the preceeding steps, but whatever it was, it seems to have worked.

Will leave you with that. Thanks very much for your assistance.

Roger Nedel
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    Hi Roger,

I am glad to let you know that the issue you've reported will disappear with the next upgrade of your iOS.

Please read my yesterday's posting on this topic: http://forum.agile.ws/index.php?/topic/2134-announcement-ios-winmac-to-android-dropbox-sync-testing-results-oct-310/

Best Regards,

Gene

[quote name='RNedel' timestamp='1286176734' post='12624']

Gene,

Well it has been about a half hour since I posted my last reply, and about an hour or more since I used the

FILE > REPAIR KEYCHAIN

menu item. During that time, I decided to try powering down and the powering up my Android. After doing that, 1Password on the Android synced properly. I now seem to have all the entries showing!

Not sure if the solution was individually editing each entry (don't think so), choosing the repair keychain menu item (I suspect this was the fix), or simply rebooting my Android after doing one or both of the preceeding steps, but whatever it was, it seems to have worked.

Will leave you with that. Thanks very much for your assistance.

Roger Nedel

[/quote]
  • This issue has also affected me, and I do not use 1Password iOS.

I am using Dropbox to sync my keychain on my Android, and I also use the Windows AND Mac versions of 1Password.

I have tried installing the Dropbox Android app in order to get a local copy of the keychain on my SDCard to which I tried pointing 1Password. No joy.

I have not tried the "repair keychain" solution described above in case it causes problems with my (working) copies of 1Password on Windows and Mac.

Can someone please advise if there is a more acceptable solution available, or whether I should go ahead with the repair. If I do the repair, should I do it in Mac, Windows or either?

Thanks,

Jim
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    Hi Jim,

Thank you for your feedback.

It seems to me that latest upgrade to 1P4Windows may cause contents.js file to go out of sync with the actual list of files in certain situations.

I will need to do another thorough test of it.

I suggest you to rename contents.js file located in <%YOUR_DROPBOX_LOCATION%>/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default folder

on our PC and then repair your keychain. This should re-create a contents.js file with correct list of items.

It doesn't really matter if you place a keychain file (folder) on phone's SD card or use Dropbox sync.

Once contents.js file is in sync with actual number of files in your keychain, they will all be visible on the phone.

Please let me know if it helps.

Best regards,

Gene

[quote name='mort8104' timestamp='1292400964' post='17634']

This issue has also affected me, and I do not use 1Password iOS.

I am using Dropbox to sync my keychain on my Android, and I also use the Windows AND Mac versions of 1Password.

I have tried installing the Dropbox Android app in order to get a local copy of the keychain on my SDCard to which I tried pointing 1Password. No joy.

I have not tried the "repair keychain" solution described above in case it causes problems with my (working) copies of 1Password on Windows and Mac.

Can someone please advise if there is a more acceptable solution available, or whether I should go ahead with the repair. If I do the repair, should I do it in Mac, Windows or either?

Thanks,

Jim

[/quote]
  • mort8104
    edited December 2010
    [quote name='GeneY' timestamp='1292513088' post='17702']

Please let me know if it helps.

[/quote]

Thanks Gene, it did.
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    Hi Jim,

You are very welcome, I am glad your problem has been resolved.

In a future, please always share with us your suggestions and recommendations about 1P4A and other Agile products, they are very important for us !

Wish you to have great holidays !

Best regards,

Gene

[quote name='mort8104' timestamp='1292573489' post='17769']

Thanks Gene, it did.

[/quote]