This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

I don't want Knox to do any backup

danieljomphe
danieljomphe Junior Member
<div class="IPBDescription">So please allow me to deactivate its reminders!</div>Hi,

I prefer to rely on my own backup strategy (Time Machine) even if I know it's not the best strategy with Knox, space-wise. I so rarely modify whatever's inside my vaults that I don't care. Plus, my vaults are small.

How is it possible to deactivate the notifications about me not having set any backup location?

Thank you!

Comments

• Hi Daniel,

First of all, welcome to the forums.

You can disable Knox's automatic backups by going to Knox > Preferences > Backups and changing the first drop-down option to be 'All vaults' and then making sure the 'Create Backups' option is set to manually, this way you won't be prompted about the lack of a backup location.

With that said, Knox uses Apple's "sparse bundle" technology for its OS X 10.5+ compatible (the default) vaults. Sparse bundles should always be excluded from Time Machine and other backup/sync products specifically because if they are currently mounted by OS X at the time of a backup, any utility that backs it up will appear to "succeed" but data integrity is not guaranteed. At some point you may end up with a sparse bundle that cannot be mounted if it is restored.

That's one of the prime reasons why Knox's built-in backups will always close/dismount the vault: it makes the resulting backup a consistently valid copy of the original and hence why we recommend against using Time Machine for backing up your Knox vaults.

Hope that helps,

[quote name='danieljomphe' timestamp='1286407161' post='12791']

Hi,

I prefer to rely on my own backup strategy (Time Machine) even if I know it's not the best strategy with Knox, space-wise. I so rarely modify whatever's inside my vaults that I don't care. Plus, my vaults are small.

How is it possible to deactivate the notifications about me not having set any backup location?

Thank you!

[/quote]