This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Master Password keeps forcing itself back on.

Gumz
Gumz Junior Member
Multiple times I have changed the lock method to be PIN with master password disabled. Yet every time I close and reopen 1Password on Android it keeps asking me for the master password instead of the PIN.

This has been the case for the last 2 betas (1.6.5, 1.6.6).

This is a very frustrating bug. Are their any ways I can help debug this issue? I am using dropbox synching if it matters and using the Droid Incredible if it matters at all.

Thanks.

Comments

• GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    edited October 2010
    Hi Gumz,

First of all, thank you for using 1P4A and providing us your feedback.

1P4A works differently than 1P4iOS, in it's current version, it is only a 1P secure data reader and requires your keychain's

master password which you set on Mac/PC.Notice that your Master Pass is not stored anywhere on your phone, not even in

some hidden preferences (we are very concerned about your data security).

Therefore, in order to authenticate your and decrypt your secure data, we always ask you for your Master Pass on App Login, but only

once during app lifecycle.

However, once you've logged in and we have your Master Pass, you can lock/unlock your app with PIN pad (which is much easier to do).

(Or 1P4A can lock itself after a certain interval)

In other words, PINPad is for locking/unlocking (assuming you've already logged-in OK). For the log-in your Master Password is always required for the reasons I've explained above.

Notice, if you leave your app in the background using Home button for more than couple of hours (depending on your phone's model), the application (as any other app) may

be removed from device memory by operation system depending on resources availability.In this case, when you bring it up, it will start with Login

screen again and ask for your Master Password.

Please let me know if you need more info or review 1P4A Help for more information.

Best Regards,

Gene

Android Developer
  • Gumz
    Gumz Junior Member
    Ah I see. It seemed like a bug as I didn't see this behavior documented anywhere.

Thank you for the clarification.
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    You are welcome, I will review the 1P4A help file to make sure it has sufficient information on how the application works.

In the meantime, please share with us your suggestions and recommendations on the app.

Regards,

Gene

[quote name='Gumz' timestamp='1287069824' post='13221']

Ah I see. It seemed like a bug as I didn't see this behavior documented anywhere.

Thank you for the clarification.

[/quote]
  • Just to note this is a change from previous beta version. I am on a droid and if I switch out of 1Password (say, to look at my email) and then come back immediately (not after an hour like you suggest above), it does ask me for the master password (not the PIN). Previous versions used to ask the PIN. I think I would prefer the PIN.

btw, I have also confirmed by launching the "Advanced Task Killer" app I have and make sure "1Password" was still running ( I didn't kill it, just saying I made sure it was still running in the background). But then I go back to it, it asks for main password again.
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    Hi Harry Warrior,

Thank you for the info,

I re-tested the 1.6.6.3 release thoroughly today and when I put it into background with Home or Back button,

it always comes back asking for PIN (of course, if my preferences are set to "Lock with PIN", and for the Master Password otherwise).

Please check 1P4A preferences on your phone.

However, if your application is killed in the background (as you know we developers have no control on how our applications live in the background, they may be killed by OS at any moment for any reason),

when 1P4A is brought back, it asks for your Login credentials (and buttons says "Login" and not "Unlock").

Regards,

Gene

[quote name='Harry Warrior' timestamp='1288071529' post='14048']

Just to note this is a change from previous beta version. I am on a droid and if I switch out of 1Password (say, to look at my email) and then come back immediately (not after an hour like you suggest above), it does ask me for the master password (not the PIN). Previous versions used to ask the PIN. I think I would prefer the PIN.

btw, I have also confirmed by launching the "Advanced Task Killer" app I have and make sure "1Password" was still running ( I didn't kill it, just saying I made sure it was still running in the background). But then I go back to it, it asks for main password again.

[/quote]
  • When I'm pressing my home or back button to exit 1P4A it always asks me for the master password. The only way I can use my PIN is by using the popup task switcher which appears when holding the home button.

Any suggestions how to fix this?
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    Hi Lukas,

First of all, thank you for using 1P4A and welcome to the 1P4A Forum !

By default, 1P4A locks itself when the application goes out of focus (for example by pressing Back or Home buttons).

The locking is done with your Master password,however, PIN number can be used for this as well, if desired.

Go to application preferences->Application Protection, select "Use PIN" checkbox and specify a PIN combination you'd like to use.

Once you did that, anytime 1P4A goes into background and brought back, it can be unlocked by using PIN and not Master Password (which

may be hard to type).

Notice that 1P4A can be locked manually at any time by using a Lock menu option.Besides, the application will be locked if left

unattended after the interval specified in Autolock preferences.

In addition, if may select not to lock the application at all (if you deselect both "Use Master Password" and "Use PIN" checkboxes),

Please refer to the 1P4A Help or email me to android-support@agile.ws for the detailed info.

Best Regards,

Gene

Android Developer

[quote name='Lukas S.' timestamp='1290893769' post='16187']

When I'm pressing my home or back button to exit 1P4A it always asks me for the master password. The only way I can use my PIN is by using the popup task switcher which appears when holding the home button.

Any suggestions how to fix this?

[/quote]
  • Lukas S.
    edited November 2010
    [quote name='GeneY' timestamp='1290957156' post='16275']

By default, 1P4A locks itself when the application goes out of focus (for example by pressing Back or Home buttons).

The locking is done with your Master password,however, PIN number can be used for this as well, if desired.

Go to application preferences->Application Protection, select "Use PIN" checkbox and specify a PIN combination you'd like to use.

Once you did that, anytime 1P4A goes into background and brought back, it can be unlocked by using PIN and not Master Password (which

may be hard to type).

[/quote]

I'm definately aware of that and did use these settings but still 1P4A keeps asking me for my Master Password and not my PIN.
  • I really think this is a bug. Don't you?
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    edited November 2010
    Hi Lucas,

Your guess may be absolutely correct if you specify "Use PIN" for locking the application but it is still locked with Master Password

(notice that Login is always done with Master Password, here we discussing the Locking/Unlocking feature)

Please forward me all your detailed steps on how to reproduce the issue to my support account android-support@agile.ws and I will take a close look at it and go back to you.

Also please mention your phone model and OS version, that will definitely help in the investigation.

In addition, let me know which screen appears when you lock the application manually with Lock menu option.

Thank you and best regards,

Gene

[quote name='Lukas S.' timestamp='1291136189' post='16514']

I really think this is a bug. Don't you?

[/quote]