This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

"search" is limited

<div class="IPBDescription">the search functionality does not look for substrings</div>I use 1Password on my Mac and on my Android. I got synced with dropbox, and it all seemed to work fine. The total number of entries on my Mac is 896, which is the same as the number next to "All types" on my Android.

With 896 entries (that are not all that well organized by folders or tags), it is hard to find something by just scrolling. So I was hoping the "search" functionality would work just like it does on the Mac: type any text, and it returns a list of all entries that have that text in any substring anywhere in the record.

But unfortunately, the search only seems to match the title, and only at the beginning, i.e. no substrings anywhere in the title other than the beginning. Needless to say, that's not very useful when many, many entries start with https://.

Thanks!

Comments

• GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    Hi fulv,

First of all, thank you for your feedback.

Search is not that bad and it is not only on the beginning of the sting.

It is more quite powerful than that.

Secure Items in 1P4A are organized by Item Types which makes item selection much easier.

Then, search is possible using a wildcard "%":

For example %me returns all items ending with "me" (case insensitive, of course) : smth like "Airport Extreme"

However using %me% returns all items having "me" somewhere in the middle of the string :

like "Instant Messenger"

I think I mentioned this in 1P4A help file.

In addition, using A-Z link (which now includes # for items starting with numbers), make

item finding very fast and easy. Using fast scrolling option helps too.

Please let me know what you think.

Best Regards,

Gene

Android Developer

[quote name='fulv' timestamp='1287688206' post='13754']

I use 1Password on my Mac and on my Android. I got synced with dropbox, and it all seemed to work fine. The total number of entries on my Mac is 896, which is the same as the number next to "All types" on my Android.

With 896 entries (that are not all that well organized by folders or tags), it is hard to find something by just scrolling. So I was hoping the "search" functionality would work just like it does on the Mac: type any text, and it returns a list of all entries that have that text in any substring anywhere in the record.

But unfortunately, the search only seems to match the title, and only at the beginning, i.e. no substrings anywhere in the title other than the beginning. Needless to say, that's not very useful when many, many entries start with https://.

Thanks!

[/quote]
  • hansangb
    edited November 2010
    [quote name='GeneY' timestamp='1287759165' post='13817']

Hi fulv,

First of all, thank you for your feedback.

Search is not that bad and it is not only on the beginning of the sting.

It is more quite powerful than that.

Secure Items in 1P4A are organized by Item Types which makes item selection much easier.

Then, search is possible using a wildcard "%":

For example %me returns all items ending with "me" (case insensitive, of course) : smth like "Airport Extreme"

However using %me% returns all items having "me" somewhere in the middle of the string :

like "Instant Messenger"

I think I mentioned this in 1P4A help file.

In addition, using A-Z link (which now includes # for items starting with numbers), make

item finding very fast and easy. Using fast scrolling option helps too.

Please let me know what you think.

Best Regards,

Gene

Android Developer

[/quote]

Hello, just downloaded the 5-Pack family license! I've tried SplashID, B-Folders, and a bunch of others. 1Passwords looks like a keeper. I too would like the destkop and Android version to search the Notes field as well as the title. Also, it should use wildcards as default option. Having to specify %foo or %foo% is a bit tedious.

And please try to add wireless sync'ing ASAP. While the workarounds are fine, it should be much more smooth (this is where b-Folders shines)

Thanks
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    Hi hansangb,

Thank you for the interest in 1P4A !

In its current version, 1P4A does title search on the beginning of the string or, if wildcard character % is used, on end or any part of the string.

Many users asked for the wildcard search to be an additional option and not a default one. Otherwise, it would be difficult to search for

"Tomorrow's notes ...." by using "TO", too many items may be selected like "What to do", "Go to somewhere" etc....

I understand that different users may have different preferences (it depends also on the number of entries someone has),however I tried to adopt

the standard used by Oracle and SQL Server for the string search.

1P4A is fully capable to do wireless syncing through Dropbox (that is the most widely used option).Dropbox Inc provides 2GB of free storage which is way

too much for the 1P keychain of any size. (The largest keychain reported by the users was 77Mb).

By specifying "keep your keychain (data file) inside Dropbox" property you will be able to sync your PC/Mac with your Android phone without the need to

manually transfer 1P data file through USB.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Thank you and best regards,

Gene

Android Developer

[quote name='hansangb' timestamp='1290477894' post='15690']

Hello, just downloaded the 5-Pack family license! I've tried SplashID, B-Folders, and a bunch of others. 1Passwords looks like a keeper. I too would like the destkop and Android version to search the Notes field as well as the title. Also, it should use wildcards as default option. Having to specify %foo or %foo% is a bit tedious.

And please try to add wireless sync'ing ASAP. While the workarounds are fine, it should be much more smooth (this is where b-Folders shines)

Thanks

[/quote]
  • [quote name='GeneY' timestamp='1290612632' post='15836']

Many users asked for the wildcard search to be an additional option and not a default one. Otherwise, it would be difficult to search for

"Tomorrow's notes ...." by using "TO", too many items may be selected like "What to do", "Go to somewhere" etc....

I understand that different users may have different preferences (it depends also on the number of entries someone has),however I tried to adopt

the standard used by Oracle and SQL Server for the string search.

[/quote]

There are different ways to solve your "too many results" problem. First the user will search for "To". After seeing a hundred results, then he/she will "learn" to search for longer strings. He/she will try "Tomo" next. This is standard practice.

Most users are not familiar with Oracle or SQL Server. If I am searching for either "bank" or "america", please make it return an entry for online.bankofamerica.com.

Moreover, you are mixing two modes of search that don't go together imho. An "advanced" search usually requires special characters, exclusions etc. Those kind of interfaces usually require a user to press the Search/Go button after entering the expression. You seem to be doing "search-as-you-type" kind of instant-search. Those kind of searches never use (as a general practice) expressions and instead do a simple search.
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    Hi Harry Warrior,

Thank you for your feedback , I will definitely take your input into consideration for the future 1P4A releases.

I will probably replace an advanced search with a simple search on occurrence in string.

Alternatively, I may introduce an advanced search preference and let users choose between two options.

Best regards,

Gene

[quote name='Harry Warrior' timestamp='1293905107' post='18390']

There are different ways to solve your "too many results" problem. First the user will search for "To". After seeing a hundred results, then he/she will "learn" to search for longer strings. He/she will try "Tomo" next. This is standard practice.

Most users are not familiar with Oracle or SQL Server. If I am searching for either "bank" or "america", please make it return an entry for online.bankofamerica.com.

Moreover, you are mixing two modes of search that don't go together imho. An "advanced" search usually requires special characters, exclusions etc. Those kind of interfaces usually require a user to press the Search/Go button after entering the expression. You seem to be doing "search-as-you-type" kind of instant-search. Those kind of searches never use (as a general practice) expressions and instead do a simple search.

[/quote]