This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Knox - Backing Up Questions

binaryeric
binaryeric Senior Member
edited December 1969 in Knox
Why is Knox required to back up its own vaults? Does Knox use Sparsebundles or Sparseimages?

If it uses Sparseimages I can understand why Time Machine would be a poor backup method, but why not use Sparsebundles in that case?

If it uses Sparsebundles, then why not use Time Machine?

Thanks,

Eric

Comments

• thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited December 1969
    Eric

Sparsebundles, and someone else will need to answer the latter portion, sorry :smile:
  • Locker
    Locker
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='binaryeric']Does Knox use Sparsebundles or Sparseimages?[/quote]

I think (didn't actually check) that it depends on your setting in the Advanced Options: Compatibility "10.5" (makes sparebundle) or "10.4 and Later" (makes spareimages).

[quote name='binaryeric']If it uses Sparsebundles, then why not use Time Machine?[/QUOTE]

Not always I have Time Machine (which I use to backup my whole drive). Some times I like to keep a backup of a single item (one vault) in another location (e.g. Dropbox, or another mounted server).
  • thightower
    edited May 2010
    Good point Locker

I forgot about SuperDuper allowing me to choose either and then telling me bundles for 10.5. - 10.6 and images for 10.4 etc, the only reason I mention this is because thats the only place I can sort of validate your statement. :wink: I also didnt try to create a new vault guess I could brb.
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    Yes just checked

10.4 = image

10.5+ = bundle
  • roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    edited December 1969
    I use this feature to make automatic backups to my Dropbox.
  • binaryeric
    binaryeric Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    Ahh... I have 65 GBs in 14 vaults... so that isn't an option for me. :)
  • Locker
    Locker
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='binaryeric']Ahh... I have 65 GBs in 14 vaults... so that isn't an option for me. :)[/QUOTE]

If space on Dropbox is the issue, you can backup only the very very very important (and not too big) vaults.

If time is the issue, and you use sparsebundles, I think it would take long time only the first time. After that, the backup will be only for the modified bundles. (Am I correct about that?)
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Locker']If space on Dropbox is the issue, you can backup only the very very very important (and not too big) vaults.

If time is the issue, and you use sparsebundles, I think it would take long time only the first time. After that, the backup will be only for the modified bundles. (Am I correct about that?)[/QUOTE]

Time Machine should pickup only the changed "bands" (of course something semi-large in the vault could span many bands too so frequent updates would be an impact). I don't have any empirical data on if Dropbox is smart like that as well.