This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Knox connects to Agile

Locker
Locker
edited December 1969 in Knox
2.0 ( 118 )

Why does Knox try to connect to Agile server when "Perform check automatically" for new versions is NOT checked?

Comments

• roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    edited December 1969
    Do you have the URL it connects to?

I wonder if it is a bug in the auto-updater code that doesn't read the setting correctly.
  • Locker
    Locker
    edited December 1969
    74.208.8.44:80 (agile.ws)
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the update. I just looked on my system and with the setting to automatically check off, I don't get any outbound connections from Knox, at least not from just launching. Do you see this connection when performing a specific Knox action?
  • Locker
    Locker
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MartyS'] I just looked on my system and with the setting to automatically check off, I don't get any outbound connections from Knox, at least not from just launching. [/QUOTE]

This was from just launching. Right now I don't see it again. Trying to think what has changed, earlier "keep Knox running if the computer is restarted" was unchecked. Now it is checked. I don't know why it would make a difference (if indeed that was an issue), but I'll try again with unchecked setting.

BTW: (another minor possibility): I think I saw the request to connect also after registering Knox, but i am only 93.7% sure about it.
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Locker']This was from just launching. Right now I don't see it again. Trying to think what has changed, earlier "keep Knox running if the computer is restarted" was unchecked. Now it is checked. I don't know why it would make a difference (if indeed that was an issue), but I'll try again with unchecked setting.

BTW: (another minor possibility): I think I saw the request to connect also after registering Knox, but i am only 93.7% sure about it.[/QUOTE]

I cannot seem to make it happen unless I check the box for version checking. Please let us know if you find a reproducible means to have it happen unexpectedly.
  • Locker
    Locker
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MartyS']...unless I check the box for version checking.[/QUOTE](Yes, that obviously should connect to Agile.)

So far I cannot reproduce my case, but I am sure it did happen at least few times at the beginning.:confused:

I did check the case when Knox is not in the login startup. Didn't happen.

Did you try it with fresh install? I am obviously past that.

(what pref file I have to move/rename so it will look like fresh install?)
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Locker'](Yes, that obviously should connect to Agile.)

So far I cannot reproduce my case, but I am sure it did happen at least few times at the beginning.:confused:

I did check the case when Knox is not in the login startup. Didn't happen.

Did you try it with fresh install? I am obviously past that.

(what pref file I have to move/rename so it will look like fresh install?)[/QUOTE]

Knox 2 will contact our servers during the first-run experience... up to three times. The first one is because the default is to check for new versions: a sensible setting to prevent a "stale" installation kit from not getting upgraded. If there is an update available a second connection is made to get the changelog information. I'm not sure exactly why the final connection is made in my test but maybe it had to do with the changelog as well.

The Knox preferences are in Home > Library > Preferences > com.knoxformac.knox.plist. If the file is removed/renamed you'll see the first-run experience.
  • Locker
    Locker
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MartyS']Knox 2 will contact our servers during the first-run experience... up to three times...[/QUOTE]

Yes. I was able to recreate the problem. I understand that Knox tries to do that by default, but the Pref:Version:"Perform check automatically" should show up as [X] ie selected.

Check this:

[list=1]

[*]Rename or delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.knoxformac.knox.plist

[*]Run Knox (like a fresh install)

[*]LittleSnitch comes and alert that Knox tries to connect to agile website.

[*]Deny it

[*]Knox complains tha it cannot check for a new version. That's ok

[*]Check Pref:Version:"Perform check automatically", it is unchecked !!! This is incorrect. It should show up as checked. And if I don't want to check for update, I should be allowed to uncheck it and Knox should honor my request next run, even if it is within the first 2 or 3 runs as you mentioned earlier.

[/list]
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    We'll see what it would take to have the new preferences setting reflect the "checked" state. In my case where I said "... up to three times" that was within the first-run experience if you *approved* each connection attempt.