This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

iPad Master Password Not Working after Sync..Bug?

BillC
BillC Junior Member
edited November 2010 in iOS
Been using 1Password on Mac and iPhone for about 3 years, and love the program. Just had a problem that seems to be a bug.

New iPad. Installed (Sync'd) 1Password Pro from iTunes (on Mac), opened 1PW, chose "existing", and did wifi sync. Everything seemed to move over, but when I closed, then reopened the app, I couldn't unlock 1PW. Tried about 10 times, including also trying the all-numeric passphrase I use on the iPhone. Deleted app, repeated install/sync, same results.

Finally changed master PW on Mac to a much shorter/simpler PW (8 numbers) (I normally use a 20 character passphrase). Deleted, installed, sync'd ... worked fine. Changed PW on iPad to original long passphrase, and it works.

Based on this experience, could there be a bug in the sync process that doesn't properly import a "long" master password (20 chars, upper, lower, symbols, numbers in this instance)?

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg Agile Customer Care
    edited November 2010
    [quote name='BillC' timestamp='1288895634' post='14495']

Been using 1Password on Mac and iPhone for about 3 years, and love the program.[/quote]

Thank you very much, Bill!

[quote]

Just had a problem that seems to be a bug. New iPad. Installed (Sync'd) 1Password Pro from iTunes (on Mac), opened 1PW, chose "existing", and did wifi sync. Everything seemed to move over, but when I closed, then reopened the app, I couldn't unlock 1PW. Tried about 10 times, including also trying the all-numeric passphrase I use on the iPhone. Deleted app, repeated install/sync, same results.

Finally changed master PW on Mac to a much shorter/simpler PW (8 numbers) (I normally use a 20 character passphrase). Deleted, installed, sync'd ... worked fine. Changed PW on iPad to original long passphrase, and it works.

Based on this experience, could there be a bug in the sync process that doesn't properly import a "long" master password (20 chars, upper, lower, symbols, numbers in this instance)?

[/quote]

There is indeed a bug, but it's not anything to do with password length. Sometimes the part of the database that contains the key encrypted with your master passwords just needs a refresh. Changing your master password on your Mac (or PC) will provide that refresh.

But there is something that I don't understand. You said that this all happened with WiFi sync. The bug that I know about (where people just need to make some change to their MP on the desktop) is limited to Dropbox syncing. Can you confirm whether you are using WiFi syncing or Dropbox syncing?

Cheers,

-j
  • BillC
    BillC Junior Member
    [quote name='jpgoldberg' timestamp='1288979677' post='14560']

But there is something that I don't understand. You said that this all happened with WiFi sync. The bug that I know about (where people just need to make some change to their MP on the desktop) is limited to Dropbox syncing. Can you confirm whether you are using WiFi syncing or Dropbox syncing?

[/quote]

Yes, I was using WiFi sync...I don't have a Dropbox account.
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    I think this is the same issue Jeff mentioned. The part of the data file containing the key encrypted by your master password was somehow missing. Changing the master password will regenerate this (as you found out). Afterwards, you are free to to change the master password back to what it was originally. We are working on having 1Password handle this rare problem better in a future release.
  • BillC
    BillC Junior Member
    [quote name='khad' timestamp='1288999499' post='14599']

I think this is the same issue Jeff mentioned. The part of the data file containing the key encrypted by your master password was somehow missing. Changing the master password will regenerate this (as you found out). Afterwards, you are free to to change the master password back to what it was originally. We are working on having 1Password handle this rare problem better in a future release.

[/quote]

Confirmed...sort of...I changed the passphrase on the Mac back to the long version and once again removed 1PWPro from the iPad, reinstalled through sync with iTunes, and used the "Existing" button to import the database. Closed 1PW on the iPad and reopened...it accepted the long passphrase.

So while I can't replicate or confirm what caused the error in the first place, I can confirm that the sync now works with the 20-character passphrase.
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg Agile Customer Care
    [quote name='BillC' timestamp='1289159173' post='14707']

Confirmed...sort of [...] while I can't replicate or confirm what caused the error in the first place, I can confirm that the sync now works with the 20-character passphrase.

[/quote]

This is exactly what we expect. You shouldn't be able to replicate this problem. It is, as Khad said, a rare condition. Changing your master password (and changing it back again) will fix the problem in those few cases where it does arise.

Khad is also correct that the problem that you experienced is the same thing that I described. I see now that it can affect both Dropbox and WiFi sync.

Thanks for checking and confirming things, Bill. Please post if you have any more questions or comments.

Cheers,

-j
  • Richard E
    edited November 2010
    [quote name='jpgoldberg' timestamp='1289160041' post='14709']

This is exactly what we expect. You shouldn't be able to replicate this problem. It is, as Khad said, a rare condition. Changing your master password (and changing it back again) will fix the problem in those few cases where it does arise.[/quote]

Perhaps not so rare. Just incurred the identical problem setting up a new iPad this weekend. It bricked 1Password Pro on my iPhone to boot. I thought it was something I had done with a password. Very frustrating. Fortunately, I found this post before doing something ugly. Applied your fix and life is good again. Just an FYI.
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    I'm glad to hear that this was able to help you, Richard. Welcome to the forums, and thanks for signing up to let us know!