This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Best way to manage lost master password?

illusionstoo
illusionstoo Junior Member
<div class="IPBDescription">lost master</div>Greetings,

Client just informed me she can't recall her master password. We've tried pretty much everything we can remember, but no luck. The fortunate thing is that she hasn't used 1Password much so the data file is small. What's the best way to deal with this? I know the Master Password can't be retrieved and this probably isn't the first time this has happened. Any thoughts about how to best deal with this? Should she delete all things 1Password, reinstall and import the Keychain? Or is there a better way?

Thanks for any ideas.

Comments

• Hi illusionstoo,

Thankfully there's a much easier way to deal with starting over after a forgotten master password. If you take a look at our guide here you'll find instructions on how to create a new 1Password data file:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/create_new_keychain.html

Also, with 1Password 3.5.0,which can be downloaded by going to 1Password > Check for Updates (even without the master password), you can tap the option (⌥) key to bring up the welcome screen so you can create a new data file.

Hope that helps your client get up and running again,

[quote name='illusionstoo' timestamp='1289339248' post='14809']

Greetings,

Client just informed me she can't recall her master password. We've tried pretty much everything we can remember, but no luck. The fortunate thing is that she hasn't used 1Password much so the data file is small. What's the best way to deal with this? I know the Master Password can't be retrieved and this probably isn't the first time this has happened. Any thoughts about how to best deal with this? Should she delete all things 1Password, reinstall and import the Keychain? Or is there a better way?

Thanks for any ideas.

[/quote]