This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Feature request: Banking with iTAN

Tobias Becker
Tobias Becker Junior Member
<div class="IPBDescription">Dedicated possibility to store TANs</div>One security feature of German online banking is the need to enter transaction authentication numbers (TANs) additionally to you PIN. An addition is iTAN, where the TANS are ordered and you have to enter a TAN with a specific number.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transaction_authentication_number"]Wikipedia on (i)TAN[/url]

Currently, I'm using secure notes for these. It would be more convenient to have a TAN list for each bank where every TAN is a seperate entry. This way, one could for example mark selected TANs as used (or this might happen automatically when filling/copying).

I attached a mockup of how this could look like.

Apart from that, a great application. Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Tobias Becker

Comments

• Steinthal
    Steinthal Junior Member
    edited November 2010
    [quote name='Tobias Becker' timestamp='1289987471' post='15320']

One security feature of German online banking is the need to enter transaction authentication numbers (TANs) additionally to you PIN. An addition is iTAN, where the TANS are ordered and you have to enter a TAN with a specific number.

[/quote]

Tobias, I wouldn't store (i)TANs in 1Password or any other program since there are alternatives (e.g. mTAN). Additionally, (i)TANs will be superseded by chipTAN. Most Volksbanken and Sparkassen already offer the use of chipTANs, the Postbank started to use chipTAN yesterday and will replace iTAN in the midth of 2011.

Anyway, I submitted a feature request regarding SIM (PIN and PUK) to Agile some time ago and was told that they are working on the possibility to let us use custom templates. If those custom templates are available, you probably could use that for your iTANs if you still use them.

-Matthias
  • [quote name='Tobias Becker' timestamp='1289987471' post='15320']

One security feature of German online banking is the need to enter transaction authentication numbers (TANs) additionally to you PIN. An addition is iTAN, where the TANS are ordered and you have to enter a TAN with a specific number.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transaction_authentication_number"]Wikipedia on (i)TAN[/url]

Currently, I'm using secure notes for these. It would be more convenient to have a TAN list for each bank where every TAN is a seperate entry. This way, one could for example mark selected TANs as used (or this might happen automatically when filling/copying).

I attached a mockup of how this could look like.

Apart from that, a great application. Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Tobias Becker

[/quote]

Hi Tobias,

As Matthias notes (thanks, Matthias) we're currently looking into making it possible for our users to customise templates within 1Password as well as adding brand new ones.

However, the problem would come that there would be no feasible way to fill these iTANs when required as 1Password would have no way to know which TAN was being requested at a given time without you manually telling 1Password which one to use, which would then bring you back to having to open the 1Password application.

One thing you could try, and I don't know know how well this would work, is to create multiple login items for your bank that have both your PIN and then the relevant TAN stored for the fields and save them as something like 'Bank Name - TAN 1' etc so you could select the relevant one when filling your login details.

Personally, I like the way my bank here in the UK handles online security, we have a card reader that generates a unique code we have to enter as part of the login process. 1Password handles the first stage for me, so fills my surname and membership number, then I confirm on a separate page the last 5 digits of my card number and enter the 8 digit code generated by entering my card PIN into the reader.

A final note on the subject, it strikes me that if the banks spent more time educating their users on the use of multiple strong passwords and common sense when using the internet, rather than lots of new fangled multi-factor authentication systems, the whole online banking experience would be much easier for everyone.