This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Troubleshooting Missing 1P Icon in Safari

dteare
dteare Agile Founder
edited February 2010 in Mac
[b]1. Standard Troubleshooting[/b]

If the 1P icon does not appear in Safari, start by reviewing the [url=http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?t=16716]Troubleshooting missing Safari icon[/url] thread. This thread was created for 1Password 2, but it is applicable to 1Password 3 as well, except for the Input Manager section.

[b]2. Safari 32-bit mode vs 64-bit[/b]

In 1Password 3, the Safari extension can load in either 32-bit or 64-bit mode. The "enable 32-bit mode" troubleshooting advice is only applicable to 1Password 2.

[b]3. Other Plugins[/b]

Sometimes 1Password is able to load fine, but the icon never appears in the toolbar or in the Customize Toolbar window. If you are missing the icon but are able to use the CMD-\ restore login keyboard shortcut, then 1Password has loaded fine and the problem is likely a conflict with another extension. For example:

[list=1]

[*] There is a known conflict with EverNote, and we posted a [url=http://www.switchersblog.com/2009/07/a-potential-solution-to-keep-1passwords-button-in-safari-4s-toolbar.html]potential solution to keep 1Password's button in Safari 4's toolbar[/url] that we found on the EverNote GetSatisfaction page.

[*] There is also a known conflict with Saft where the very first window created will not have the 1P icon, but subsequent windows will have the icon.

[/list]

If you are experiencing this issue, as a test, try removing the other plugins and see if the behaviour changes. Alternatively, you can decide not to use the 1P icon at all and use the "key" in the Main Menu instead. You can access all of the 1Password features from the Main Menu by going to the 1Password > Preferences > Browsers window, and enabling the [i]Display in Main Menu[/i] option in the Advanced menu (i.e. under the "gear").

[b]4. Safari Integration Lost After Reboot[/b]

Some [url=http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?t=19037]users have reported[/url] that the Safari integration works perfectly, but then disappears after rebooting. This is happening because the 1PasswordAgent is not running.

This was a bug in 1Password that should be fixed now. Upgrade to the latest version by selecting 1Password > Check For Updates.

If you are still having this problem in the latest version, see step #5 below.

[b]5. Problems With Folder Permissions[/b]

If you do not have the ability to write to certain folders, 1Password will have troubles configuring the 1PasswordAgent correctly, which can cause the Safari icon to be missing.

In the new Betas a new command was added to reset the permissions on the folders and files that 1Password needs to update. Select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset Folder Permissions and then restart 1Password. Once 1Password is restarted, restart Safari and see if the 1P icon appears.

Comments

• christofire
    christofire Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Version 3.0.0.BETA-31 (build 30031)

My button is missing as well. I can still use 1P through the Edit menu and Cmd\.

I tried removing and re-adding the button via 1P preferences... That didn't work, but it did seem that when I fired up Safari that a button might have been added then immediately covered up by the address field. Or, it could just be me.

Thanks for allowing me to help test the new version. :-)
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='christofire']I tried removing and re-adding the button via 1P preferences... That didn't work, but it did seem that when I fired up Safari that a button might have been added then immediately covered up by the address field. Or, it could just be me.[/quote]

Likely another plugin is removing the 1P icon from the toolbar. This is a known issue with EverNote, and I've seen a few reports where Saft users do not see the 1P icon on the first window, but it does appear when creating another window.

I will update the original post with instructions for troubleshooting this.

[quote name='christofire']Thanks for allowing me to help test the new version. :-)[/QUOTE]

You are very welcome! :)
  • Christopher Hibma
    Christopher Hibma Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Good morning.

Can you please post step by step instructions for resolving this issue? I see the "sudo" command, but I am not familiar with where to add this. Thank you.
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forum Christopher!

[quote name='Christopher Hibma']Can you please post step by step instructions for resolving this issue? I see the "sudo" command, but I am not familiar with where to add this.[/QUOTE]

Sure thing! I posted those in a bit of a rush yesterday. I will update the original post now. Give me 30 minutes :)
  • sirron
    sirron Junior Member
    edited September 2009
    Dave, did the Terminal thing. Still NO icon in Safari.
  • Christopher Hibma
    Christopher Hibma Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Thank you for the instructions. I appreciate it. Have a great day...
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forum sirron!

[quote name='sirron']Dave, did the Terminal thing. Still NO icon in Safari.[/QUOTE]

Were you getting the "Could not copy file" error message in 1Password?
  • chrisnsfca@mac.com
    chrisnsfca@mac.com Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I am able to install the 1P extension (3.0 beta) on Safari (Snow Leopard), but when I reboot its gone again. I can go into the 1Password application and reinstall extension and it comes back. I read this is probably a permission problem, but the exact permission change was not posted. Any idea on the fix for this?
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='chrisnsfca@mac.com']I am able to install the 1P extension (3.0 beta) on Safari (Snow Leopard), but when I reboot its gone again. I can go into the 1Password application and reinstall extension and it comes back. I read this is probably a permission problem, but the exact permission change was not posted. Any idea on the fix for this?[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you are having the exact same problem in [url=http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?t=19037]this thread[/url]. It is a bug in 1Password that needs to be fixed. For now, I will update the original post with these troubleshooting instructions.
  • essayons
    essayons Junior Member
    edited September 2009
    I have noticed two instances that make the 1P button disappear:

1) Whenever I upgrade 1PW3β to the next version, the 1P button disappears. I can fix this by quitting the browser, opening 1PW3β, opening preferences, and removing then re-adding the 1PW extension for Safari.

2) About 50% of the time, Safari starts up and the 1P button is missing. I can fix this by quitting Safari then re-starting. Sometimes if this doesn't work I use the method shown in 1) above.

I have never messed with conflicting extensions or anything of that sort and have always got the button back without too much trouble by using these methods.

Oh, and a question--when will the different icons (padlock, key, etc) return to the toolbar menu? My elderly parents keep telling me that they are able to use the 1P button, but they are concerned that it's not a padlock! Rather than try to explain simple computer stuff to them, I'd prefer to appease them :)
  • thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited December 1969
    See this thread [URL="http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?t=18046"]here[/URL]
  • christofire
    christofire Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='dteare']Likely another plugin is removing the 1P icon from the toolbar. This is a known issue with EverNote, and I've seen a few reports where Saft users do not see the 1P icon on the first window, but it does appear when creating another window.[/QUOTE]

Now Version 3.0.0.BETA-32 (build 30032)

I removed the Evernote button (That was therapeutic) but that didn't cause the 1P button to return even after restarting Safari. That leaves DeliciousSafari and Stumbli.

I'll play more tomorrow... even though I'm getting kind of used to Cmd\

Gorgeous interface, btw. Paper-clipped screenshot is an especially nice touch.
  • stephen-m3
    stephen-m3 Junior Member
    edited September 2009
    I quit Safari and employed the Terminal command from your Switcher's Blog post. When I restarted Safari, my Evernote button was present but the 1P button was not. I dragged the 1P button from the Customize Toolbar dialogue, and 1P worked as expected. When I quit and restarted Safari, I had to customize the toolbar again.

Thanks for the temp solution. Having to customize the toolbar until you come up with a permanent fix is a minor inconvenience.
  • AllanC10
    AllanC10 Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I've been able to restore the button in each case of an upgrade to !Password or OSX by starting 1Password, starting Safari (with the missing icon), and reseting the Mac. In all three cases (so far), the icon reappeared and stayed. In the last case of Snow Leopard, the icon has remained since it came out and 1Password has shown no issues (I have a lot of passwords including one double password).
  • Carl
    Carl Just Me
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='stephen-m3']I quit Safari and employed the Terminal command from your Switcher's Blog post. When I restarted Safari, my Evernote button was present but the 1P button was not. I dragged the 1P button from the Customize Toolbar dialogue, and 1P worked as expected. When I quit and restarted Safari, I had to customize the toolbar again.

Thanks for the temp solution. Having to customize the toolbar until you come up with a permanent fix is a minor inconvenience.[/QUOTE]

Try temporarily renaming the com.apple.Safari.plist file so that it creates a new one and see if it makes a difference. Problem with that though is that you have to re-do all your changes to Safari preferences. However, at least you can test to see if that is the issue.
  • spooky
    spooky Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Currently using Version 3.0.0.BETA-33 (build 30033). I am running up-to-date Safari 4 on up-to-date 10.5.8 Leopard. Ever since I upgraded and installed the 1Password 3 Betas I cannot get the 1Password Safari icon to show up. I've done all the checking/unchecking with both safari open and closed/reboots/ I did the old terminal command from a long time ago. I've tried restarting the service. I am not running any additional Safari extensions. I have the same issue on a MacBook & a MacBook Pro with the same versions of everything. After reading this post just now I saw about Removing & Re-adding Input Manager. However since updating to Beta-33 that option has been removed at least from the stated Browsers option screen so I can't try that step.

I'm content waiting until 1Password 3 comes out of Beta, but I figured I'd post my issues. Thanks for all you do! This is one of my only 3rd party software that I install immediately after I get a new machine as well as have to have on my phone.
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, spooky, and thanks for the kind words. Sorry about the trouble you're having. It sounds like you've tried all the usual things to get this working. Could you send us your diagnostics so we can get a better idea of what's going on? To do this, click Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report and mail that to [email]support@agile.ws[/email]. Please be sure to include a description of the problem you're having.

Thanks!
  • hegel394
    hegel394 Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    i'm using the latest beta (beta 33) on snow leopard. as browser i use safari/the latest webkit nightly builds.

i can't get 1pw work on 32bit-mode. i use the 32 bit-mode cause of other plugins like multiclutch or glims and it allways worked perfect, still in beta 32. but since beta 33 i can't get the 1P-button to the browser or use the "cmd+#" to fill in my login-dates.

in the 64bit-mode everything works fine again without any problems.

i would be very glad if 1password would be reenabled for 32bit as long as other plugins don't manage to run in 64 bit.

i think that could also be a reason for sooky's problem, as safari runs only in 32 bit in 10.5.8
  • Raff3d
    Raff3d Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Well, about the 1Password icon problem in safari (that I had), you have to know that the "1Password addition.osax" file has not been included in the 2.9.31 application bundle, so that it cannot be installed and the icon cannot appear!

In the opposite, it is part of the 3.0 beta application, so that the icon appeared again with this version.

I think that this could solve a lot of unsolved problems seen in the forum…
  • theotheroffice
    theotheroffice Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    not sure if it's the same issue... but the "1P" icon is missing from Safari after a restart. But it is easily found in the Customize Toolbar menu of Safari.
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Raff3d']Well, about the 1Password icon problem in safari (that I had), you have to know that the "1Password addition.osax" file has not been included in the 2.9.31 application bundle, so that it cannot be installed and the icon cannot appear![/quote]

1Password 2 used an InputManager for extending Safari. The move to a ScriptingAddition required a huge rewrite and so we did not port it back to 1Password 2. We'd rather ship 1Password 3 a month earlier :)
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='hegel394']i'm using the latest beta (beta 33) on snow leopard. as browser i use safari/the latest webkit nightly builds.

i can't get 1pw work on 32bit-mode. i use the 32 bit-mode cause of other plugins like multiclutch or glims and it allways worked perfect, still in beta 32. but since beta 33 i can't get the 1P-button to the browser or use the "cmd+#" to fill in my login-dates.

in the 64bit-mode everything works fine again without any problems.

i would be very glad if 1password would be reenabled for 32bit as long as other plugins don't manage to run in 64 bit.[/QUOTE]

1Password 3 will support both 32-bit mode and 64-bit mode. Beta 33 should still support 32-bit mode, and since it is working in 64-bit mode, I'm guessing one of the other plugins is removing the 1P icon. Try looking in the Customize Toolbar window, as well as on the context menu to see if 1Password is present.
  • rgrilo
    rgrilo Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='dteare']1Password 3 will support both 32-bit mode and 64-bit mode. Beta 33 should still support 32-bit mode, and since it is working in 64-bit mode, I'm guessing one of the other plugins is removing the 1P icon. Try looking in the Customize Toolbar window, as well as on the context menu to see if 1Password is present.[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem: 1P3 b33 working fine with Safari in 64bit mode, with missing extension when I start Safari in 32bit mode. There is no 1P icon in the Customize Toolbar window & 1P is not present in context menus. The other Safari plugins I'm using: Safari140, DeliciousSafari, Evernote.

Any suggestion?
  • thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums,

Evernote, is a known problem, with the 1p button. Some users have reported seeing the 1p button momentarily and then have it replaced by the evernote button 1 second later.
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777 AWS Code Wrangler
    edited December 1969
    Since it's working fine for you in 64-bit mode, that points to one of the other plugins nuking 1Password from the menu options. This isn't surprising really. In the case of Evernote at least, they don't play particularly nice and obliterate whatever the user has added to the toolbar and set it to a new default toolbar set with the Evernote button. We're working on some ways to make this better, but right now, if it's working in 64-bit mode, there's not much we can do to troubleshoot what those other extensions are doing. You can try disabling them and then readding them to see which one isn't playing nice.

FWIW, you can get most of the Evernote clipper's behavior by selecting and then dragging the URL for the page you're viewing onto the Evernote icon in the dock.
  • hegel394
    hegel394 Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    1P button re-appeared in 32-bit-mode with the latest update (34 or 35, updated both at once)
  • georgewilkinson
    georgewilkinson Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    To get the 1P icon to stay put in Safari I just deleted the preferences file "com.apple.Safari.plist" and now it sticks.
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the update, George, I hope your tip will help others.
  • Elmo
    Elmo Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I cannot customize my safari toolbar with anything including 1Password. Perhaps there is a problem in Safari!

The customized "item" disappears upon a reboot!

I use Evernote 1.4.9

Safari 4.0.3

Mac OS 10.6.1
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Elmo, there's a known incompatibility with the Evernote web clipper. Unfortunately, right now the Evernote Safari extension doesn't play nice with any toolbar customizations the user has made, which of course includes 1Password. Please see [url=http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11603]this thread[/url] and [url=http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11603&p=46940#p46722]this post[/url] in particular for more information. We've reached out to the Evernote team and hopefully they'll be able to more peacefully co-exist in a future release.

For now, you can achieve much of the Evernote clipper's functionality by simply dragging the URL from the address bar to the Evernote icon in the Dock. Select the URL and click and hold for a short delay before dragging to have the text drag. Then, drop the URL on the Evernote icon in the Dock to clip the page. With this in place, many users have found they do not need to use the Evernote clipper in Safari at all.
This discussion has been closed.