This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Unable to use the Backup and Restore feature on my iPhone

Hi,

I use 1Password for iPhone and want to backup my passwords. So I go to the Backup and Restore menu in 1Password.

The program now displays a message saying:

You can now backup and restore 1Password database. Launch a browser from computer on the same network and navigate to one of the following addresses:

When I do so, navigate to one of the addresses I'm displayed a 1Password touch Service webpage including a link with a file I should download. When I press this link however nothing happens. The webpage will try to load the file indefinitely and eventually display a message that the link could not be opened.

How can I fix this problem so that I can download the backup file?

Thank you for the help

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    edited December 2010
    Welcome to the forums, Hoggorm. I'm sorry you are having this problem.

Please try restarting your computer and iOS device (hold down the Sleep and Home buttons simultaneously for at least ten seconds until the Apple logo appears).

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have better results.

(What version of 1Password for iPhone are you using?)
  • [quote name='khad' timestamp='1291323375' post='16799']

Welcome to the forums, Hoggorm. I'm sorry you are having this problem.

Please try restarting your computer and iOS device (hold down the Sleep and Home buttons simultaneously for at least ten seconds until the Apple logo appears).

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have better results.

(What version of 1Password for iPhone are you using?)

[/quote]

Thank you.

Unfortunately this does not help. I've had 1Password for a long time (over a year at least) and over that time I've restarted both the computer and iPhone lots of times, including full reset of the iPhone and format of the computer.

I was thinking maybe some kind of ports are closed? I've made sure TCP 5354 and UDP 5353 is open, but that did not do the trick either...

I'm using 1Password Pro for iPhone 3G.
  • khad
    Ah, yes, of course. Are you using Little Snitch, OS X firewall, or some other software that might be hindering the network connection?
  • Hoggorm
    edited December 2010
    [quote name='khad' timestamp='1291336310' post='16834']

Are you using Little Snitch, OS X firewall, or some other software that might be hindering the network connection?

[/quote]

I'm using a PC with Windows Vista, that is, I've tried with two different PC's with Windows Vista on this network without success. I do not know of any programs that might hinder network connection... As far as I know I've not installed any such programs... Do you have some more suggestions what programs might cause the problem so that I can check?

I have installed a few "security programs" such as Spybot, Malwarebyte, SpywareBlaster and Microsoft Security Essentials, but as far as I can remember I had the Backup problem with 1Password before I installed those programs.

Since the problem is on both computers on the same network I'm thinking that the router must be the problem (therefore I opened the two mentioned ports since I saw a reference to them in another post on this forum). Unfortunately I have very little knowledge about such stuff (routers, etc) so I might have done something wrong?

Can you confirm that those two ports must be open for the Backup and Restore feature to work?

Is there another method to backup the passwords? I tried the Dropbox version, but 1Password informed me I had no password file in my Dropbox. But that might be more a sync feature, and not a backup feature?

Thanks again.
  • khad
    edited December 2010
    There are many network issues that could be factors. It is for this reason that I would suggest strongly considering [url="http://help.agile.ws/1Password_Windows/tutorials.html#setting_up_dropbox_sync"]Dropbox syncing[/url] which not only works in spite of them but will also automatically keep all you data securely up to date and provide offsite backup.

No need to open ports on your router for Dropbox (or Backup/Restore since it uses the local network), and as a security measure, I would suggest closing the ones you previously opened.

Please let me know if you need further assistance setting up Dropbox. We should be able to get the Backup/Restore feature working but due to the [b]many[/b] hurdles it may not be worth your time to troubleshoot if Dropbox works well. It is entirely up to you.