This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Syncing with iPhone

2»

Comments

• Jrmweb
    Jrmweb Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    There is no Sync item/menu/folder showing up at all in the beta. My iphone and computer are on different networks (eg. 10.x and 192.x). This use to work perfectly. Your attempt to simplify synching has greatly complicated it.

Instead for messing around with WiFi, will you please put cable synching back into the product? Think of the workflow: You have to connect your iphone to synch with itunes and back it up anyway, so there is no reason not to synch with 1password at the same time. At least make using a cable an option.
  • bpwhistler
    bpwhistler Member
    edited December 1969
    @JRMWEB...cable syncing is not an option for any 3rd party iPhone apps. The developers of 1Password haven't "disabled" something to make our lives more difficult. I personally have sent dozens of requests to Apple to allow a single sync service for all 3rd party apps through iTunes...or at least following the iTunes sync. Apple has disallowed developers from utilizing USB syncing...not the other way around.
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777 AWS Code Wrangler
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='peeeeeanut']Quick question...

Firstly I love this program & don't know how I'd survive without it! Anyway, I'm getting a LOT of "conflicts" when I sync - about 100. I have a big pw file. Anyway, none of the "conflicts" actually conflict - the passwords and other info appear the same.

Any idea what's causing this? I'm just clicking "skip" and praying I'm not inadvertently writing over some details I haven't noticed yet. Thanks for any advice.

Also - also vote for a walkthrough in the main 1PW program explaining how to do the sync. I'd have never figured it out if I hadn't wandered into the forums (though I realize this is why you keep them...;))[/QUOTE]

We haven't yet figured out what is causing these conflicts. They are happening fairly infrequently AFAIK. If you have all your data up-to-date on your Mac, the simplest solution is to delete the app from your iPhone and connect to iTunes to reinstall it and sync your data fresh.
  • jxpx777
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Jrmweb']There is no Sync item/menu/folder showing up at all in the beta. My iphone and computer are on different networks (eg. 10.x and 192.x). This use to work perfectly. Your attempt to simplify synching has greatly complicated it.

Instead for messing around with WiFi, will you please put cable synching back into the product? Think of the workflow: You have to connect your iphone to synch with itunes and back it up anyway, so there is no reason not to synch with 1password at the same time. At least make using a cable an option.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bpwhistler']@JRMWEB...cable syncing is not an option for any 3rd party iPhone apps. The developers of 1Password haven't "disabled" something to make our lives more difficult. I personally have sent dozens of requests to Apple to allow a single sync service for all 3rd party apps through iTunes...or at least following the iTunes sync. Apple has disallowed developers from utilizing USB syncing...not the other way around.[/QUOTE]

bpwhistler is right. We would (inlove) love (inlove) to support USB synching. It would take all of the network configuration issues out of the equation. Unfortunately, Apple haven't allowed this.

Regarding setting up synching in 1Password 3, please see my post #8 earlier in this thread. Also, have a look at this [URL="http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?t=18906"]
  • jiclark
    jiclark Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [In reply to the comment that WebDAV syncing is in the works...]

GREAT idea... That way, we could use something like Dropbox to allow syncing from anywhere and anytime!

Keep up the great work!
  • jxpx777
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='jiclark'][In reply to the comment that WebDAV syncing is in the works...]

GREAT idea... That way, we could use something like Dropbox to allow syncing from anywhere and anytime!

Keep up the great work![/QUOTE]

Actually, Dropbox works quite a bit differently and wouldn't be part of the WebDAV synching. They have promised an API at some point in the future, and when they do have one you can bet we'll be one of the first to support it.
  • Azenhofer@me.com
    Azenhofer@me.com Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    So far so good, the only thing is that there is no sync in the menu on the top - can you give some idea to add this?
  • Carl
    Carl Just Me
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Azenhofer@me.com']So far so good, the only thing is that there is no sync in the menu on the top - can you give some idea to add this?[/QUOTE]

It will appear on the sidebar when it sees the device.
  • Azenhofer@me.com
    Azenhofer@me.com Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Sure, but I have to connect via IP/Port, so when I enter the data then nothing happens.

I found no way to sync the data - in 2.x and Leopard I had the opinion to use a adhoc network, but in SL there is still no driver for the wireless available so adhoc is not possible.

After installing the new iPhone 1PW SW I was happy to see the IP/Port information, but after typing in 1PW (Mac) there was no button to start sync.
  • roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Azenhofer@me.com']Sure, but I have to connect via IP/Port, so when I enter the data then nothing happens.

I found no way to sync the data - in 2.x and Leopard I had the opinion to use a adhoc network, but in SL there is still no driver for the wireless available so adhoc is not possible. [/QUOTE]

Are you running a "hackintosh" by any chance?

[quote name='Azenhofer@me.com']After installing the new iPhone 1PW SW I was happy to see the IP/Port information, but after typing in 1PW (Mac) there was no button to start sync.[/QUOTE]

If you use "Help > Troubleshooting > Sync Using IP Address" then you should be able to add the iPhone to sidebar. It looks like there is a bug in the current beta that prevents 1Password from displaying the detail view correctly. I will try to get it fixed soon.
  • Azenhofer
    Azenhofer Junior Member
    edited September 2009
    [quote name='roustem']Are you running a "hackintosh" by any chance?

[/QUOTE]

No I use an MacPro with no Airport option ;( and at the moment my Dlink stick is not supported. Under 10.5.8 it was possible 10.6 not.

And with the new Iphone App I was able to see the formerly white IP/Port fields and added the Phone to 1P but no sync button.

Regards

Holger
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Azenhofer']No I use an MacPro with no Airport option ;( and at the moment my Dlink stick is not supported. Under 10.5.8 it was possible 10.6 not.

And with the new Iphone App I was able to see the formerly white IP/Port fields and added the Phone to 1P but no sync button.

Regards

Holger[/QUOTE]

Please try BETA-38.
  • Azenhofer
    Azenhofer Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Version 3.0.0.BETA-39 (build 30039) did it :grin:

So sync is now possible - thanks for the help.

Only one cosmetic thing, when I add my Iphone via IP/Port and authenticate it with the code provided by Iphone. There are now two Sync devices (the IP/Port and my Bonjour ) after deleting the IP/Port one the Bonjour will not work anymore.

But now - I can sync (clap)

Regards

Holger
  • Jaideep
    Jaideep Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    when it syncs there should be a message that it is in sync and a similar indicator on the iphone. currently you only get the colour wheel and it shows that the iphone is not available. A few minutes later it shows 'available' & sync as 'just now'
  • sijmons
    sijmons Member
    edited December 1969
    In the latest beta, my iPhone no longer connects and will not sync.

(status remains Offline, sync button remains grey).

This is with the 1PWpro app 2.2.1, OSX10.6.1, iPhone OS3.1

re-booting iPhone did not help.

This could have surfaced in an earlier beta, but I did not attempt a sync for 5 days and in the meantime upgraded iPhone from 3.0 to 3.1 and OSX from 10.6 to 10.6.1
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='sijmons']In the latest beta, my iPhone no longer connects and will not sync.

(status remains Offline, sync button remains grey).

This is with the 1PWpro app 2.2.1, OSX10.6.1, iPhone OS3.1

re-booting iPhone did not help.

This could have surfaced in an earlier beta, but I did not attempt a sync for 5 days and in the meantime upgraded iPhone from 3.0 to 3.1 and OSX from 10.6 to 10.6.1[/QUOTE]

Please use Settings > Wi-Fi Sync > Advanced in 1Password touch to find out the IP Address and Port. On Mac, use Help > Troubleshooting > Sync using IP Address to add the iPhone to sidebar.
  • thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Please try this thread, for sync help [URL="http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?t=18906"]here[/URL]. Its a really good troubleshooting tool, just don't post any details in that forum. 3.0 stuff should be posted in this forum. So just reply to your own thread if the sync help thread doesn't work.

On a personal side note, a couple of days ago my phone didn't want to sync either, I found if I open 1P and then the 1P touch, they kind of miss each other.

So I quit the 1P app on the mac completely with the 1P touch still running, then a restart of the 1P app on my mac and it saw the 1P touch right off and the sync went without a hitch.

I confirmed that the same thing happened while trying to sync the wife's phone this evening. Also my fix as noted above worked on her's as well.

Thats just my personal experience and I have replicated the behavior 4 times now in the last 3 or 4 days. Give it a shot it cant hurt. :-)

But be sure to check out the guys trouble shooting thread. It can yield valuable information, in case there are other reasons behind the sync failure.

Edit: Roustems post seems to be more prone to success, with out the trouble. But maybe my post can yield insight into the problem of why people have the failures. End Edit
  • thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Roustem,

Wouldn't he also need to make sure and enable a static ip, to prevent problems syncing later on etc. ?
  • Locker
    Locker
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='thightower']I found if I open 1P and then the 1P touch, they kind of miss each other.

So I quit the 1P app on the mac completely with the 1P touch still running, then a restart of the 1P app on my mac and it saw the 1P touch right off and the sync went without a hitch.

[/QUOTE]

Mine used to work exactly in the opposite sequence. ie: I had to first launch 1P on the Mac, then the 1P touch on the iPhone.

I just checked again (3b40 on Mac OSX 10.5.6, 2.2.1 on iPhone OS 3.0-7A341) and it works both ways now. ie: It works in both sequences: a) if I launch the 1P on the Mac first, then 1P Touch, or b) If I launch 1P Touch first, then 1P on Mac.
  • sijmons
    sijmons Member
    edited December 1969
    Good help page indeed, thanks.

Passed through all steps as indicated and by the time I got to sync instructions for iPhone it went online immediately, so it may have been just a temp glitch somewhere.
  • jxpx777
    edited December 1969
    Glad you got it sorted, sijmons!
  • Carl
    Carl Just Me
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Azenhofer@me.com']Sure, but I have to connect via IP/Port, so when I enter the data then nothing happens.

I found no way to sync the data - in 2.x and Leopard I had the opinion to use a adhoc network, but in SL there is still no driver for the wireless available so adhoc is not possible.

After installing the new iPhone 1PW SW I was happy to see the IP/Port information, but after typing in 1PW (Mac) there was no button to start sync.[/QUOTE]

Click on the Help >> Tools menu and select Sync via IP Address option please.
  • dgrenier
    dgrenier Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I've been able to reproduce the problem I was having with Sync which seems to be plaguing others. Not sure if this was in v2 as well since I'm a recent convert.

I launched Mac 1Password and unlocked it. I launched iPhone app, unlocked it and the sync happened. I closed iPhone app, relaunched and unlocked it and the sync happened again. So far so good. I closed iPhone app.

I then locked Mac app (with the padlock icon top left), unlocked it again. When I opened iPhone app and unlocked it, nothing happened. Status was "offline." Closed iPhone app and tried it again, same thing.

I closed iPhone and Mac apps, relaunched and unlocked Mac. Launched iPhone app, unlocked it and the sync happened. Closed iPhone app, relaunched, unlocked and the sync happened.

On Mac app, Locked keychain (menu item), unlocked it again, launched iPhone app, unlocked and the sync didn't happen. iPhone remained "offline".

It looks like the Mac app can't communicate with the iPhone after it's locked. Could it be the Mac listener stops running when the keychain is locked and isn't restarted when unlocked?
  • jxpx777
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for this troubleshooting information. It's definitely possible that there's a communication issue after 1Password on Mac locks. It's also possible that the UI is just not updating to reflect that the iPhone is available. Could you open the Console application and watch the 1Password.log when you're testing this and see if there are any indications of sync activity such as

[CODE]AGWiFiSyncer[/CODE] or

[CODE] AGWiFiSyncTransport[/CODE]

in the situation where the UI does not show that the iPhone is available?
  • evandro
    evandro Junior Member
    edited September 2009
    Hi guys,

First of all, I love the new interface in the desktop app. I am having problems with syncing at work now, the same problems I have before being able to use the ip address/port sync solution available in earlier versions. For some reason the desktop app can't see my iphone in my company's network. I am able to ping the iphone's ip address successfully but the bonjur browser app does not show the iphone there.

Is there still a way to sync using the IP Address/Port feature? Is it hidden somewhere in the desktop app?

By the way, I am using version 3.0.0.BETA-40 (build #30040), 1password pro version 2.2.1 in the Iphone and Snow Leopard (10.6.1). I am also using a wireless network.

Thanks.
  • dgrenier
    dgrenier Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I've attached the console log. After I locked & unlocked the Mac app and then tried syncing again, nothing else was recorded in the log.

I did notice the "network access" icon (or whatever it's called) display briefly when I launched the iPhone app. Perhaps it was attempting to connect to the Mac app but couldn't?
  • evandro
    evandro Junior Member
    edited September 2009
    Sorry everyone. I missed roustem's post # 41 with instructions on where to find the adhoc sync option. I was able to add my iphone to the syncing are in the sidebar and the sync was successful. However, Now I have to devices showing there. One with the ip address and another with my iphone's name. The sync only works if I select the ip address one. If I select the one with the device's name the status reads offline (even though I have the iphone app unlocked) and the sync now button is grayed out. When I sync using the ip address one the "last synced" time is also updated in the name one.

Just as a test I closed the desktop app and when I came back the device with the iphone's name was still there but no matter what it shows as offline. To sync again I still have to use the adhoc method. Having the name one showing there is a little confusing since people may think that the device is actually being seen buy the desktop app.

I would also suggest having an adhoc sync button somewhere in the landing user interface, not only inside help, troubleshooting.

Thanks.
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    I am closing this thread as it is getting very hard to keep track of the many sub-threads.

Please do not hesitate to open a new thread to discuss your specific issue.
This discussion has been closed.