This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Use Knox for mail.app folders?

alanm101
alanm101 Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Knox
Rather than whole-disk encryption, is there a useful way to create a vault for the mail.app folder structure? By 'useful' I mean a way that would be fairly convenient and reliable to use. mail.app must not be able to function unless the vault is mounted and open. If the vault is not mounted and open, mail.app must not simply be able to create a new structure and dump new messages in those spurious folders.

Too much, too soon?

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    This require a bit of terminal work as you need to create a symlink to the mail folder inside the vault. It's a pain in the butt to do it.

I have asked as a feature request to Agile about this, we don't know when or if they'll do this.

If you are looking for something else, you can get Espionage instead.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    I don't think you're going to see specific options within the Knox interface to facilitate things like this, but as was pointed out there are ways that *may* give you the effect you desire. Supportability (by Apple), how Mail might act if the vault isn't currently open when you try to access something, etc. are questions left to the imagination. Be aware as well that the files on your Mac for Mail may in fact only be copies of messages and attachments: the "originals" can still be on your associated mail servers. Protecting the local copy may be helpful but don't be confused and think that its protected everywhere. Also, Mail currently doesn't separate it's folders into separate locations on your system, only accounts, so if Knox vaults can work they'd be employed for the entire mail account's contents... not for individual folders within that account.