This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Folder size increase

acetuk
acetuk Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Knox
I've just purchased Knox and am starting to set up my first vault.

All seems to be going well but I have noticed that the original folder size pre-knox of 650mb has increased to 1gb in the vault. What is using the extra 350mb please?

This vault is on my free dropbox account and every megabyte counts! :)

Thanks.

Comments

• zero9ine
    zero9ine Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I'd also like to know why when I create a vault it starts at 565mb or somewhere around the 500mb mark..

I know you can set custom sizes but surely I can just create a vault and it auto sizes like a standard folder as the files within increase starting from say 0kb?

I only need to create a vault for my Excel/Numbers spreadsheet documents, so far these total 385kb and it makes a whopping 500mb vault.

I'd set it custom and lower the file size but I never know how large it will get as time goes on with adding files and if it will be capped at that smaller size?

I too use Dropbox to backup my data as the original poster stated, so its all adding up.
  • Popeye
    Popeye Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Why does an original folder increase in size from 88MB to 500MB+? I don't want to do this!
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777 AWS Code Wrangler
    edited December 1969
    If you keep the default 10.5 setting, you can set the vault size to a smaller number and since it is a sparsebundle, it will grow with the files you add to it. The reason for the initial capacity is that it makes adding items up to that capacity much more efficient than having to allocate new space for the increasing size of the disk image. I hope that helps explain things better.
  • zero9ine
    zero9ine Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Ok thanks for the reply.

So I'll make a vault about 1mb in size just for my excel/numbers documents and have it grow automatically as I add more to that vault.

But as Popeye says his vault jumped from 88mb to 500mb. Without testing this first hand yet, if this is the case its not really ideal especially for small sized documents.
  • Vital Spark
    Vital Spark Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Adjusting vault size, leaving at 10.5mb. Where do you do all that? Looked everywhere.
  • zero9ine
    zero9ine Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Vital Spark']Adjusting vault size, leaving at 10.5mb. Where do you do all that? Looked everywhere.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://cl.ly/546cb86b962a59a4cc36[/url] - under advanced options upon creating a new vault (the little arrow at the bottom under vault type) I think Jamie was referring to the 10.5 OS compatibility type not the size. You can customise the size under the advanced options to a set or preferred custom size.
  • RobYoder
    RobYoder Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    Those of you who mentioned creating a Knox vault in your Dropbox need to be very careful. A Knox vault can only safely be opened on one Mac at a time. At the moment there is no safeguard to prevent the same vault from being opened on multiple computers. For this reason we [B]strongly recommend against[/B] storing your Knox vaults in your Dropbox folder or on your iDisk at this time.

When we look at an open Knox vault it appears to be normal folder containing files and other folders, but that is not how it is structured on the disk. Because of this, file and folder syncing tools like Dropbox won't work well with it. It is possible that a change to a single file within a Vault may require lots of other parts of the actual Vault being changed.

For the same reasons, Knox vaults are not suitable for being accessed by multiple systems at the same time. [B]If you have a vault synced with Dropbox and you make changes to it from different machines, the results are unpredictable and could very well lead to serious damage to the vault and loss of data.[/B]

You can still use Dropbox or iDisk for storing [B]backups[/B] of your Knox Vaults.
  • zero9ine
    zero9ine Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I only use Dropbox to sync files between the office and home i dont use them at the same time, only for transferring accounting data between the two Mac's depending where I am that day (home or office).

Should I just copy the vault file into dropbox to backup and drag out each time, is that what you're referring to, not actually accessing and changing the vault within the dropbox syncing folder?
  • RobYoder
    RobYoder Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='zero9ine']I only use Dropbox to sync files between the office and home i dont use them at the same time, only for transferring accounting data between the two Mac's depending where I am that day (home or office).

Should I just copy the vault file into dropbox to backup and drag out each time, is that what you're referring to, not actually accessing and changing the vault within the dropbox syncing folder?[/QUOTE]

Dragging the file into and out of Dropbox from and to the vault should not be a problem, but I'm not sure about syncing the vault itself if you never use it at the same time. You'd need a developer to confirm that.

Hope that helps in the mean time.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    I think we need to extend this caution to having the Knox vault [B]mounted[/B] by more than one computer at a time if it's being synced by Dropbox or iDisk. The sync utilities see it as a single file, but OS X sees a file system when it's mounted and can write/update invisible files whenever it wants, causing it to be updated even when you haven't expressly thought of that happening.