This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Knox Vaults to Amazon S3

I want to store my Knox Vaults on my Amazon S3 Webspace.

I know that it is not possible (or would destroy the files) to open a vault from more than one Mac, so I won t do that, but my question is:

When I open my Vault from my Amazon S3 Account, put files in it and close it again, does it upload the complete file again or just the changed files?

This is important for me because of my slow connection and traffic costs.

Thanks for your support

Comments

• MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    Welcome to the forums, PrettyFly!

The real key to your question is how you are mounting the vault and where it actually resides when you open it.

If the vault actually resides on your remote storage service then any file changes/additions/deletions will take place directly over the Internet, with your traffic being just the OS X file system writes needed to do the job while the vault is mounted.

If however, your vault really lives on your local Mac, and simply syncs or backs up to your storage service then the entire vault would be transmitted, as the file contents inside are completely insulated from anything when the vault isn't mounted. The sync/backup would simply know that the vault changed -- not what inside it changed.

There could be scenarios somewhere in between these two situations too, but you'd know more about that than we would because you know exactly what software you're using between your Mac and your remote storage service.
  • I m using Amazon S3 mounted with Transmit as a Volume. I store my Vaults directly on my Amazon S3 Account and open them from there, so it should work fine with just syncing the changes.

Thanks for your reply.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    [quote name='PrettyFly' timestamp='1292317057' post='17543']

I m using Amazon S3 mounted with Transmit as a Volume. I store my Vaults directly on my Amazon S3 Account and open them from there, so it should work fine with just syncing the changes.[/quote]

Yes, I would agree that given that situation you would find that only changes would be written to the network in real-time.