This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Password for vaults

jsamuelson
jsamuelson Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Knox
A technical question for someone who knows more about OS X cryptography than me - if I have been working with vaults, have entered my password to open them but not saved in the Keychain, then close the vaults, is the password stored anywhere, in a cache, RAM, virtual memory etc? Or fragments of data that could be used to reconstruct the password?

ie If someone stole my machine and dumped the RAM/VM could they potentially find my password? As someone else has mentioned this seems to be possible with user logins and FileVault passwords.

It would be nice to know that if the vaults have been closed the password has been properly scrubbed.

I have Use Secure Virtual Memory set in System Prefs but I think data is still written to RAM in the clear, so to speak.

Thanks!

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777 AWS Code Wrangler
    edited December 1969
    Knox will not keep your password around. The handling of the decryption and maintaining that open state is passed off to OS X. I'm honestly not sure how they handle that, but I would like to think they are taking reasonable precautions to not have passwords floating around in RAM. Secure Virtual Memory is a good start to being extra sure. :)
  • jsamuelson
    jsamuelson Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks! I will do some research myself and post back if I find anything significant...
  • tzoi516
    tzoi516 Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    You have the option to save it to your keychain. Even then, you can have Keychain Access setup to prompt for your password to open it, and you still need to enter your password to reveal any passwords stored in keychain.